Pages

Monday, April 9, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


It's Monday! What Are You Reading?" is a weekly meme hosted by Jen and Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts. I try to participate every Monday.


It's becoming easier for me to make time for reading. I see it as prepping for the  week as much as writing my lesson plans. If I don't read for a bit, I feel like something is missing. What if a student asks me about the very book I am reading? I have to be ready.

In preparing for this post, I find it necessary to go back to Goodreads to remember everything I've read. I managed to read these books this week:


Trash by Andy Mulligan
(A very dark, heartbreaking story about children living in poverty--This one's also a middle school/young adult book in my opinion.)



Magic Cake Shop by Meika Hashimoto: I think there are several students in my class who will love this book! An over-the-top fantasy involving an evil plot! And cupcakes!

Countdown by Deborah Wiles
Great historical fiction about the 60s. I loved the story and the writing! (I see it as more appropriate for middle school/young adult.) The main character is so endearing, and it gives a wonderful portrait of a family made stronger during challenging times.

This week's reading:
I am not sure what to read next! I'm leaning toward Breaking Stalin's Nose by Eugene Yelchin (Newbery Honor Book for 2012).  Check back tomorrow to see what I choose!

2 comments:

  1. I love it! Reading should be part of your lesson plans! That's great. I especially love the rationale that you need to be able to talk to a student about what you are reading. It hinges on the community of reading you are developing in your class. Awesome. Love it. I listened to Countdown and the audio was really cool - lots of special effects sounds. Very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh- I want to read Trash- I've only heard good things!
    Wasn't Countdown good? It really brought that time period to life.

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete