I'm reading Peter H. Johnston's new book OPENING MINDS. It's all about the language of our instruction. As a result of reading this book, I am more thoughtful and intentional than ever about the words I use when I interact with students. I am always considerate and respectful, but I'm now thinking more specifically about how I craft a response. Could I inspire deep thinking just by how I answer questions and comment on student replies?
Yes.
Students reveal their personalities and ideas to us when they share their thoughts.
Each time a student speaks, it's an opportunity for the teacher to learn something about them. Many times, this has helped me gear instruction, or meet a student's particular need.
When I respond to students, I try to do so in a way that validates their thinking, supports their expression, clarifies a point, or evokes another thought. I am constantly being inspired by my students.
It's not easy, and it takes practice. But I am learning so much about what classroom dynamics can truly be about. I am excited everyday about what I will discover.
No comments:
Post a Comment