| These shoes are also from Yellow Box. I love the bling on them! |
WHY I WORE THESE SHOES:
This weekend, I, of course, wore weekend shoes! They are cute and glitzy, and I only wear them to school during the summer when I go work on my classroom. I also wore them to school today. Yes, I sometimes work in my classroom on Sundays.
(I wasn't the only teacher there!)
WHY I WENT TO MY CLASSROOM:
When you design your classroom setup before the year starts, you think you know how things will work out. But when real students come into the room, and start making it their own, you realize what works and what doesn't. My groups of 4 and 3 just didn't leave enough room for all of us to move around as comfortably as needed. So I had to regroup into 3 larger groups. It's not the ideal, but in a real classroom, you have to be flexible. The upside is I have a larger area by my classroom library. So, the lesson here is that adjustments are always okay and always necessary when it comes to creating the best environment for your students.
HOW I REWARDED MYSELF FOR MY HARD WORK MOVING DESKS:
Yes, I do buy shoes. But I especially love a trip to Barnes and Noble. (A teacher can NEVER have too many books.)
I always head to the picture book section where I keep my eye open for great mentor texts for writing. I have been looking for a particular book for quite a while now. I know I can order it, but there's just something about finding it and picking it up, paying for it, and carrying it home. This time, I found EXACTLY what I was loooking for:
Scarecrow, by the wonderful Cynthia Rylant, is a beautifully written story about: scarecrows. I attended a session with Penny Kittle this summer, and she modeled the use of this book to teach a writing lesson. (I cannot say enough good things about Penny Kittle's book: Write Beside Them.)
I walked out of that store as happy as can be in my glitzy Yellow Box sandals!
Have you ever had to make adjustments in your classroom setup?
For two days I had to teach my littles in the computer lab because the tech guys were installing the speaker system. I don't understand why they couldn't have done it after hours. I had no warning. They showed up at 9:30 and told us to leave. I didn't know what to do. I didnt want to interrupt someone else's classroom. So I snuck into the computer lab and hoped it was okay. In the words of Stephanie Tanner, "How RUDE!"
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear this, Andi!
ReplyDeleteAs teachers we always have to be ready for changes, dont' we? I can't believe you had to be away from your room for two whole days!
I hope you have a better week! And bless your 'littles"!