Pages

Saturday, September 15, 2012

"Making your mark!"

Today is Internation Dot Day. The event is based on a wonderful book called THE DOT by Peter Reynolds. It's a really cute picture book about a teacher that inspires a student to be creative!


I read this to my class this week, and we celebrated by designing dots using paper and crayons, but they also created some wonderful work using our iPod Touches.

Here are a few of their pieces:






The students used apps such as Doodle Buddy or Whiteboard. I'm so proud of them! Our school will continue to celebrate Monday as we have all been asked to wear dots to school!

One of the book's messages is that we must "make our mark" on the world. With my students we've been discussing how to do just that. Fourth graders have many ideas on this.
I asked myself the same question: How will I make my mark on the world? But I wanted to know more about my mark. What IS my mark? What does it look like? Is it a mark worth leaving?

I'm considering these questions carefully. One thing I am sure of is this:  I've decided I want to my mark to have something to do with learning and literacy. Books and words have meant so much in my life! The fact that I am a reader has made a world of difference in the way I live, and I want the same advantages and MORE for the children I teach. I want the same for the children at my school. I want the same for ALL children. 

I'm making a mark each time I walk into my classroom, interact with a teacher, help a student, recommend a book, or serve on a campus committee. My mark will change, but hopefully, it will become more and more distinct, and more and more helpful.

Because it will be distinct, it cannot look like anyone else's. I shouldn't expect that! Others will make their mark, and I will make mine.

I'm still considering these questions.

How will YOU make your mark on the world?

***********************************************************************
SHOE CHOICE FOR THE DAY: Even though the weather is cooler, I stuck to my flat brown sandals with leggings today. But it feels like fall so I'm thinking about my boots now!

1 comment:

  1. As a teacher and advocate for reading, you will certainly make your mark in the world. I'm sure your many students can attest to that.

    ~ Michael<><
    The Color of Sound
    @mgdobishinsky

    ReplyDelete