Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


Today, I'm joining Jen and Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts in their Monday meme called "It's Monday! What are you reading?" We blog about what we've read and what we are reading now.

My reading this past week can best be described in the form of a math equation:

2 grad school assignments due in same week + lesson planning + many tasks related to teaching + reading some wonderful notebook entries + keeping to a writing deadline = 1 teacher who had little time to read but did so when she could (especially in front of her students so that they can see that she reads, too)

When solving the problem above, complete the part in parenthese first. ;-)

I'm not sure if that math equation makes any sense numerically, but I understand it perfectly.


I WAS able to finish these books:


THE ADVENTURES OF NANNY PIGGINS by R.A. Spratt (Illustrated by Dan Santat)
Published: 6/12/2012
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Pages: 272

This was a very entertaining and funny book! Nanny Piggins cares for the Green children, but she is not your typical nanny! She lets the kids eat all the sugar they want and does the same herself. This book made me laugh out loud, and I really needed it this busy week. It's full of crazy adventures with some very interesting characters. (Note: This book comes with a disclaimer from the author who warns the reader NOT to imitate Nanny's eating habits or behaviors. )




LEGENDS OF ZITA THE SPACEGIRL by Ben Hatke
Published: 9/4/12
Publisher: First Second
Pages: 224

This graphic novel is the sequel to ZITA THE SPACEGIRL (which is one of the Texas Bluebonnet Award nominees this year). My students can't wait to read this one, but they have to wait a day because I had to read it first! It was was just as good as the first one. I know I'll have a long list of students wanting to read this one.

What I am reading now:

THIRD GRADE ANGELS by Jerry Spinelli (I've had this since ALA.)

I hope my reading is better this week, and I think it will be. I only have one assignment due (and it's almost done).

My experience helped me realize how important reading is to me as a person--not just as a teacher.  I felt like I was missing out. Many great things were happening in books without me! Well-written words existed around me waiting for me to enjoy them! I could only do so if I opened a book!

Even though I was able to finish two books, I know I can do better. 

Thank goodness for a new week!













2 comments:

  1. Cynthia I am reading your equation before my coffee so it is taking a minute to sink in! It WAS a busy week for me as well and I have nostalgia for "readier" times (Is that a word?) Are you enjoying the Spinelli book? I haven't heard a lot about it but enjoy so many of his titles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie,
    Oh, it's a complicated equation. I know!

    I love your new word: "readier". I completely understand what it means.

    I'm loving the Spinelli book and I think kids will love it, too. Thanks for commenting on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete