This has been the first full week of school. The supply kits have been opened, the notes have been sent home, and schedules are slowly falling into place.
It has also been a week of good reading for my new students. They are digging into the classroom library and bringing their own books from home, too. Each day we are reading more and more, building our reading stamina.
The conversations are beginning, too. During discussions and impromptu conferences, students will share their excitement about a series, or compare one book to another. I am seeing my students return to the same box in our library, and I am beginning to learn their preferences. One student cannot get enough of anything written by Rick Riordan. Another has just about read every one of my graphic novels. (Need to buy more!) One student has now decided that she will read every Nancy Drew book because they're mentioned in the Judy Moody books. Yeah!
One group of girls is sharing books. Their own impromptu book club!
When we have a few minutes here and there in the day (separate from our Reader's Workshop time), my students are all beginning to open their books and read. Some are taking their books to lunch to read while they wait in line.
These are great happenings that make me happier than a new pair of shoes. How do they come about? I think my classroom library has something to do with it, as well as the fact that I have shared my own passion for reading AND that I read with them.
One other part to this is the class read-aloud that starts and ends our day.
I also give credit to The Book Whisperer, a wonderful book by teacher Donalyn Miller.
The Reader's Notebooks and conferences come next week. Little layers get added on each day as this teacher observes her students and determines their needs and preferences. But no matter what gets added on, there is always a time for reading. My students can count on the time. With each passing day of this, they come to appreciate reading even more. As I continue to support them with conferences and mini-lessons, this will only grow.
Wow, it sounds like you've had a fantastic start to the school year! I'm sure the awesome library has something to do with the kids' enthusiasm about reading, but I think mostly it takes a teacher who's excited about sharing books with them.
ReplyDelete