Pages

Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Unexpected

Making a large Origami Yoda isn't something I thought I would ever do in my lifetime.

But now, it totally makes sense.
First, I have to say that I am a HUGE fan of THE STRANGE CASE OF ORIGAMI YODA books by the fabulous Tom Angleberger. These books are so funny and creative and third, fourth, and fifth graders love them!

It was also our Texas Bluebonnet Award winner in 2012!


WHY did I make a large Origami Yoda out of green butcher paper? Because it's fun and awesome and--I am hoping-- the kids at my new school will love it.

Here's what it looked like when it first started.

 
Now, I'd made one of these out of regular-sized white paper, but making a wall-size one was another story. My students loved making them and I'd find them all over the classroom! I even found one in the library last week! (I'll take that as a sign.)

But I wanted to make a large one I'd seen on Pinterest. I think it will look great on a wall in the library.

Now, when I started out getting my library ready for learners, I had some idea of what I wanted it to look like. But strangely, a lot of the really creative things I've done haven't been completely planned out. I start with one poster, prop, or other anchor object. I think about it for a minute or twenty. I surf Pinterest, and then I start working with it, and things start to gel. Is that considered designing? I think so!

Here's what I'm going for: As I get the library ready for the first day of school, my goal is to create an environment that sparks conversation, promotes reading and books of course, and creates an environment that celebrates learning. Is this a good list? I think it's a start! It's definitely not complete.

Also, I want everyone to feel comfortable there! I want our learners to be happy when they come to the library! Just like I feel when I go to my own public library or when I walk through the doors at our own library now!

When I finished the Yoda,  I knew I wasn't done with the display. I know myself: when I get to making things, sometimes my projects don't have hard and fast ending points. Sometimes I don't reach the answer or the end--until I've have been working on the work for a long while. For me it takes a lot of thinking and doing. And a lot of times, I'm not happy with I come up with in the end because it's never perfect.

Here's what my Yoda looked like when I finished:


I really wanted the eyes to be more "artistic", but it was late and I was really tired.

If you want to know how to make your own Origami Yoda, ask a 4th grader. They can show you. Or, you can go here to Tom Angleberger's awesome website like I did! Tom has some really great directions and examples there!


Now, before I end this post I must remind myself and you that the new installment in the Origami Yoda series will be released soon! Last I heard, the release date was August 6th!



The new book is called THE SURPRISE ATTACK OF JABBA THE PUPPETT!
 I. CANNOT. WAIT. I found out about it at ALA Midwinter and I know I tweeted the picture out.

Here's my picture of Tom Angleberger at ALA 2013 with JABBA. Tom is such a fun author, and he is always so very kind to librarians and teachers!



One last thing:
My shoe choice for the day:

Well, when you are making an Origami Yoda out of green butcher paper on your hard wooden floor, wearing shoes just gets in the way--even cute ones.








1 comment:

  1. Love Origami Yoda. And I'm pretty amazed you made a paper bag look that good :-)

    ReplyDelete