Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 8/12/13

It's Monday! I'm joining my friend Jen over at Teach Mentor Texts in a meme called "It's Monday! What are you reading?" Here, teachers, librarians, and other readers share their reading for the week. It's a great way to add to your book lists!



My summer is officially over, and I ended it with these books:



PRISONER 88 by Leah Pileggi
Published by: Charlesbridge Publishing
Publication date: September 1, 2013

This is historical fiction based on a true story about a ten-year old boy sent to prison in the 1800s. It's a harsh story, and very compelling. I really felt such sadness for the boy the entire time. I couldn't believe the story and all he'd been through (perfect for middle school and up).



THE SURPRISE ATTACK OF JABBA THE PUPPETT by Tom Angleberger
Published: August 6, 2013
Published by: Amulet Books

The latest in the Origami Yoda series! I laughed out loud at so many places in this book. It also made me think! I really enjoy this series.



HENRY'S FREEDOM BOX by Ellen Levine; illustrated by Kadir Nelson
Published: January 1, 2007
Published by: Scholastic
Caldecott Honor Winner 2008

A beautifully illustrated book! The story is powerful! Kadir Nelson's illustrative work is always breathtaking.

What I'm reading now:

I'm currently reading a book I've had for awhile and should have read a long time ago:
Salt: A Story of Friendship in a Time of War


SALT: A Story of Friendship in a Time of War by Helen Frost
Published: July 23, 2013
Published by: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux

This is historical fiction in a narrative. I've been reading it and thinking about what a great source it will be to any study of Native Americans and the War of 1812.


What are you reading?


No comments:

Post a Comment