Then it became a one ripped page from a legal pad, and I'd fold it up and carry it around everywhere--and when things got crossed off, it made me feel great! I don't think I've found one system I am completely happy with. Still searching for it. In the meantime, I'm using a spiral planner!
A really important to-do list I'm working on right now is the beginning-of-the-year to-do list. I want to make sure that when the year begins I have done everything I could! So I got some help from my wonderful Twitter PLN: thanks to Cathy Potter, Crystal Brunelle , Tamara Cox, Barb Keister, Margie Myers-Culver, Chris Roberts, and Deanne Seigler for their input on this list. I hope it is helpful to someone else. It certainly is helpful to me. (These are in no particular order.)
- Ask for class lists to organize library cards or bar codes.
- Check in new materials so they can be ready as soon as possible.
- Introduce yourself to new staff and let them know you are there to help. (Also send an intro email or letter.)
- Make sure new students are added to circulation system.
- Place a book order.
- Start a state book award display (and others).
- Create bar codes (or library cards) for new staff.
- Host Open House for staff.
- Find and meet your parent volunteers. They are willing to help!
- Compose parent letter to be sent home.
- Create a folder or bag for each teacher in which you provide basic library information.
- Create a literacy event calendar and share with teachers.
- Schedule first visits as soon as possible to make sure students have books!
- Pull potential read-alouds for teachers.
- Share noteworthy titles with teachers on professional development day.
- Get book trailers together for first library visits.
- Gather stacks for book talks.
- Start a webpage for your library or update it if you already have one.
Thanks to Mr. Schu (from Watch Connect Read) for his wonderful advice and encouragement as well.
I know this isn't a complete list, but it's a start, and it's something to work with!
I know this isn't a complete list, but it's a start, and it's something to work with!
If you are a school librarian, what would you add to this list?
Thanks for this wonderful resource that I will use! I also plan to survey our staff at the beginning and end of the year. The BOY survey link is http://bit.ly/16TGHKm Thanks! Mrs. Crook
ReplyDeleteYou should add plan a budget to present to your principal. Follow through with reports mid-year and end-of-year. It's always helped me get money from the beginning and not have to ask when there is something I want to do.
ReplyDeleteI am not a school librarian, so I'm not sure what to add to the list - it looks great to me :) But I am a children's author, so I greatly appreciate all you do to put books in kids' hands!
ReplyDelete