Pages

Monday, August 5, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 8/5/13


On Mondays, many in my reading community post to this meme: IT'S MONDAY! WHAT ARE YOU READING? Teachers, librarians, and other great readers share what they've been reading by posting links to their blogs today. It's a great way to get book titles. Check out Teach Mentor Texts for all the posts!

I will admit that throughout this busy summer, my IMWAYR posts have been spotty. But because I want to make this part of my routine again, I'm posting one today and I'm proud of myself for that. I do it mostly to document my reading and, of course, to share great book titles.

This week I read:
 

 
AL CAPONE DOES MY HOMEWORK by Gennifer Choldenko
Publication date: August 20, 2013
Published by: DIAL
 
Oh, I really loved this book! Moose is a really interesting character, and there's an element of mystery to the story that makes you not want to put the book down. It's the 3rd installment of a series, and I do recommend that you read these in order--especially because they are ALL good.




THE BIGGEST BEAR by Lyn Ward
Published: June 1, 1952
Published by: HMH Books for Young Readers
Caldecott Medal (1953)

I'm reading Caldecott books for two reasons: 1) I'm very interested in learning about them and 2) I'm doing a Caldecott Challenge (my own timetable).  This one is a REALLY unexpected story about a boy who finds a bear, and if you read it, let me know what you thought of the ending!
The artwork is done in black and white watercolors.


GOODNIGHT iPAD by Ann Droyd
Published by: Blue Rider Press
Published: October 7, 2011

I thought this one was fun, but I still prefer GOODNIGHT MOON by Margaret Wise Brown. It's about a family saying goodnight to all their devices. If you have a lot of techy tools, you'll enjoy this one.


CLASSROOM HABITUDES by Angela Maiers
Published: June 12, 2012
Published by: Solution Tree

I read this one for a campus book study. I've learned a lot from Angela Maiers both from listening to her speak to reading her books, and I can't wait to discuss this one with my coworkers at my new school!


RULES by Cynthia Lord
Published: April 1, 2006
Published by: Scholastic
Newbery Honor 2007

This is a really good book, and you will see why it won a Newbery Honor. It was a reread for me, and even better the 2nd time around. It's a story about a girl named Catherine who has a brother with autism, and their very special connection. She teaches him rules as a way to help him.  Their family story has touched many readers' hearts. I highly recommend it!!

What am I reading now? Well, I just started Prisoner 88 by Leah Pileggi. It's based on a true story about a boy who was  sent to the state penitentiary for 5 years in the 1800s. It's a gripping story, and I'll probably finish this one tonight.


PRISONER 88 by Leah Pileggi
Published: July 1, 2013
Published by: Charlesbridge Publishing

What are YOU reading today?


3 comments:

  1. A friend gave me a copy of Rules after I lent her a copy of Wonder. I haven't read it yet. I have so many books that I want to read! I also notice you are currently reading the Fifth Wave. My husband read it on vacation, and I will hopefully read it before summer ends. Prisoner 88 sounds very interesting. I will have to add that to my list also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! Can't wait for the next Al Capone book! :)

    Classroom Habitudes looks really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo--thanks for posting about the new "Al Capone" book. I didn't even know there was a third one.

    ReplyDelete