Pages

Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Library: A Place for Ideas and Inspiration!

During one of my summer trips to the public library (and there have been many), I heard music coming from the children's section. It wasn't loud, and the sound was contained in that area, but it got my attention. Before I browed around (as I usually do), I walked over to see what the music was about.

I saw parents holding toddlers and dancing. I saw books, and laughing, and smiles. I saw librarians at the front smiling and mingling. But what I was really looking at was a great library in action.

The event was a toddler storytime with dance! How brilliant! Well attended, causing buzz, lots of reading happening around it. And the best part was that families were enjoying literacy together.

I thought a lot about that afterward. I thought about how perfect that event was. It was a great example for me as I plan events for my own library.

I want my students and their families to experience literacy together in this way.

I realized also that my library had helped me yet again. This time, they'd inspired me to do good work in my own library. They'd shown me another possibility. And as a plus, they also had the books I was looking for!

What family events have you seen in your school or public library?
Has your library been a source of inspiration to you? How?

1 comment:

  1. Could I "ditto" this a thousand times? Your post brought back so many memories for me of my own childhood experiences going to the library. The library has always held a special place in my heart and like you I work daily to pass that love on the children I serve. Super post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete