So, that being said, it leaves me little time to post an #IMWAYR entry.
That's why I'm making this a Tuesday post---sharing these two titles.
First:
FLORA & ULYSSES: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo
Published by: Candlewick Press
Publication date: Sept. 24, 2013
Next:
THE BOY ON THE PORCH by Sharon Creech
Published by: Harper Collins Children's
Publication date: Sept. 3, 2013
I read these books fairly quickly and loved both of them. As I started to think about what I would tell someone about these books, I wondered what made them similar to me. (I guess this is rather like my own "thinking map".)
First of all, the plots are engaging. In one , a girl named Flora has made a new friend: a squirrel named Ulysess. In the other, a boy has mysteriously shown up on the porch of a young couple. Second, the characters are very compelling: a squirrel who loves donuts and poetry, and a boy who paints, and never speaks. Both contain elements of mystery and both will make readers think. I highly recommend them.
One other similarity: Both of these books come from Newbery-winning authors. Kate DiCamillo gave us BECAUSE OF WINN DIXIE and the TALE OF DESPEREAUX (and more). Sharon Creech gave us LOVE THAT DOG and WALK TWO MOONS (and more).
I've had the honor of meeting both of them, and it was a lifetime treat in both cases. As a new librarian, I appreciate what they do for children's literature and the more I read their books, the more I marvel at their art. And writing great children's literature is most definitely an art.
I can't wait to share the works of these authors with my students in the library! It will be an honor!
| Meeting Sharon Creech at ALA 2012: A privilege! |
![]() |
| I met Kate DiCamillo at ALA 2013. She is about to sign my ARC of FLORA & Ulysses. I'm on the other side of my iPhone smiling, too! |



No comments:
Post a Comment