Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2013

No Eraser Needed


Right now I'm settling into my new school and my office in the library. I'm about halfway done unpacking my boxes. I'm working on signage now.

As I was doing so, I found an eraser. It was one of those teacher gifts we all get -- with a painted apple and personalized.

It was given to me probably my 2nd or 3rd year of teaching (I really don't remember), and I have carried it around to every school and every classroom.  I'm not even really sure who gave it to me. I'd just put it on the chalkboard tray and there it would stay all year. Really, I had enough erasers, and some years it was never used. But I still kept it because it was cute and teacher-y!

Then I got a Smartboard, and it was REALLY never used again.

When I unpacked it in my library office recently, I asked myself why I had brought it over. I don't have a chalkboard in the library (I do have  a Smartboard), and I'm not even sure if there is a chalkboard anywhere in my new school.

I guess I've realized that this eraser just became a symbol of something.

In this transition I am making from classroom teacher to librarian, what tools am I bringing that WILL be useful? And what tools in my teacher toolbelt will no longer be needed? I'm slowly starting to make my lists.

When we go from one chapter to another in our lives, we also change many aspect of our surroundings.  We have new work addresses, phone numbers, and parking spots. We even get a new set of keys! But do we also trade out the work habits and strategies we've relied upon for so long? The ones that have been successful and reaped benefits for those we must help?

Honestly, I plan to keep quite a few things from my teacher tool belt. Connecting with my students because they matter. Listening to them and knowing that we are privileged to be able to help them grow. Helping teachers find books for their classes. Finding the perfect read-aloud. Humor (probably about shoes). Always learning. Reading as much as possible (of course!). Writing with my students. Reading WITH them, too. Being excited about new discoveries! Librarians have all of these qualities!
 
I still can't quite throw out the eraser, though. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. I still remember my first year as a librarian, and I totally relied upon my "teacher tool belt" to get me through! Just wanted you to know that I've nominated you for a Liebster Award! Please visit my blog at http://thebookfairygoddess.blogspot.com/2013/07/liebster-award-nomination.html for more info.

    ReplyDelete