Pages

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Remembering and Moving Forward

As teachers, we work with many colleagues throughout our careers. During our first years, we have mentors (hopefully) who guide us and are there for our millions of questions we have as we try to find our way. Once we settle in, we work with teachers on our team and in our building. We often find teachers we connect with, and they become more than co-workers, but friends.

This past week was a week of remembrance for me. It all came as I tried to close out a year and move forward to a new adventure.

I remembered a veteran teacher I first worked with during my first year of teaching. She had traveled to many places and taught in several states. Every time I talked to her, I learned something new. I remember appreciating how she treated me like a trusted colleague, even though she was clearly more knowledgeable. I'd walk into her classroom, and ask questions, and she never tired of them.

When she retired, she had a lot of stuff. I remember she called me into her classroom one day, and asked, "Do you want all of this?" pointing to her cabinets filled with teacher books, supplies, activity kits, etc. So much stuff! Stuff I didn't have! Stuff!

I happily said "yes!" because I had very little. I'd been making all of my own things, and usually borrowed books from her.

This week, I remember my veteran friend as I packed up my own classroom. My classroom library has been one of my most valued teaching tools in my career, but as an elementary librarian, I won't be needing it. (I still have an extensive personal collection at home.)


I didn't want it to end up in boxes in my garage UNREAD. So I called up 2 first-year teachers in my building, and told them it was theirs. I gave them 3 requirements, though:

  • Make sure the books are read!
  • Every book must be taken!
  • Cultivate a love of reading in your classrooms through choice and modeling.

  • They both agreed to my requirements and took the books. As they packed them up, we had a great conversation about reading and it gave me such happiness to see how much the books meant to them.

    As they walked out, and I saw my empty shelves, I wasn't sad. Instead I remembered my friend's kindness years ago, and I said a whispered "Thank you" to her and realized I had just paid her back by paying it forward.

    I had to say goodbye to several other special and wonderful teachers this week, and it was difficult to do so. I know it was because they'd meant so much to me.

    It helped me realize that the teachers we work with and pass by every day in the hallways can teach us many things and have the ability to affect our lives just as much as the students we teach.

    As I continue on to my new school, I will carry with me great lessons taught to me by these wonderful teachers. I will continue to remember them always.

    6 comments:

    1. Thank you for sharing this beautiful reflection, Cynthia. I am about to make a major change, leaving the classroom for at least this year, and I know it's going to hit me hard this week. I gave away my precious kindergarten materials a few years ago to my intern and she ended up inheriting my classroom too. It was a good feeling to know that the tools I used would be in loving, capable hands. Best of luck to you in your wonderful new adventure!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Joan,
      Thanks for reading! Good luck to you as well! I know wherever you go, you will impact others in such a wonderful way!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Cynthia, your post really touched me as I prepare to become a full-time librarian next year. How lucky those teachers are to have been the recipients of your generosity. Best wishes for your new librarian adventures next year!

      ReplyDelete
    4. What a wonderful thing you did. Just think years from now they will look back on your generosity like you just did for your gift. It's nice to bring it full circle and know that your books will have a loving home.

      Heather

      ReplyDelete