It's Monday, and I'm joining Jen and Kellee (two of my wonderful #nerdybookclub friends) at their blog Teach Mentor Texts to celebrate a week of reading. In this meme, teachers, librarians, and other reading advocates share titles in everything from picture books to YA.
Last week I had a full week off, having completely moved out of my room the previous weekend. (I started nesting at my library at my new school by moving in a few boxes, and also walking around the shelves a lot. Lots of thinking and imagining and planning happening! And lots of shuffling! )
But even though I spent most of my days working on projects, I had time to read at night and early in the morning.
This week I read:
DOLL BONES by Holly Black; Publisher-McElderry Books
This one was getting lots of buzz on Twitter last week. I normally don' t reach first for anything scary, but this one won me over quickly. It captured my interest completely, and it wasn't TOO creepy. It's got friendship and mystery and a quest, and I loved the writing.
FREAKY FAST FRANKIE JOE: by Lutricia Clifton; Publisher- Holiday House
This one is on our Texas Bluebonnet Award List for 2013-2014. It's one of the few I haven't read, so I immediately took care of that. Frankie won me over with the hope he held out hope for his mom, and how he makes his way in a tough life. He's a worker and enterprising, and I cheered him on all the way.
THREE TIMES LUCKY by Sheila Turnage; Publisher: Dial Books
I'm probably the last person in the #nerdybookclub to read this one, but I finally did! I loved Mo for all the ways she helped everyone. Mo writes in notebooks (which she catalogs by volumes--music to a librarian's ears!), loves to solve mysteries, and works in a café where she's surrounded by really interesting townspeople. It's set in North Carolina, it's a wild story, and it won a Newbery Honor for 2013.
WHATEVER AFTER: FAIREST OF ALL by Sarah Mylonwsky; Publisher- Scholastic
This is another Texas Bluebonnet Book for 2013-2014 and a fast read. My students loved this one, and I did, too. It's a fun twist on fairy tale, and a brother/sister duo (Abby and Jonah), who end up on a crazy adventure involving Snow White!
THE BOY AND THE AIRPLANE by Mark Pett; Publisher--Simon Schuster
I absolutely loved this wordless picture book! I bought it to get it ready for the next meeting of the #sharpschu Book Club. It's about a little boy trying to solve a problem, and each page just makes you think and wonder. A great experience! As with all good picture books, this one is treasure to me.
This week I'm reading:
SIDEKICKED by John David Anderson; Publisher-Walden Pond Press (ARC)
THE TRUE BLUE SCOUTS OF SUGAR MAN SWAMP by Kathi Appelt; Publisher-Atheneum Books for Young Readers (ARC)
What are YOU reading this week?








Oh, I can't wait to hear about True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp!
ReplyDeleteThank you! It's good so far! Thanks for stopping by my blog!
DeleteI am going to track down The Boy and the Airplane. I've heard really good things about it and I love well done wordless books. :)
ReplyDeleteReading Through Life
The Boy and the Airplane is amazing! I think you will love it!
DeleteThanks for stopping by my blog!
Doll Bones is still seen around-looks & sounds good! I haven't read Three Time Lucky either-maybe this summer. Just have too many other things going! I saw someone else talk about the Airplane book-it does sound delightful! Hope you enjoy your new school & classroom, Cynthia!
ReplyDeleteI think I'll try out Doll Bones too. Not my usual either, but a lot of people who are saying that have liked it. I haven't read Three Times Lucky either, so I added that one to my list as well. Thanks for the recommendations!
ReplyDeleteYou're so welcome, Kate! Thanks for stopping by my blog!
DeleteDOLL BONES is really good, and so is THREE TIME LUCKY so you have some great reading ahead of you!
I'm another one who doesn't normally read spooky books but Doll Bones was excellent! We all have those kids who want one scary book after another, and Doll Bones is perfect for them.
ReplyDeleteFreaky Fast Frankie Joe and Three Times Lucky are on my TBR List for 2014. The problem with my TBR List is that I get distracted by too many other shiny book covers!