The thoughts of an elem. librarian who loves children's literature, libraries, technology, writing, ---and throughout it all must wear cute shoes!
Monday, June 3, 2013
It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 6/3/13
The It's Monday! What are you reading? meme is hosted by Jen and Kellee from Teach Mentor Texts . They adapted the original meme from Sheila at Book Journey to highlight Picture Books to Young Adult Books. I try to participate any Monday I can!
Well, the busy end-of-the-year activities make me feel like I really didn't read much this week! There were a lot of meetings, a school carnival, and other need-to-do-now tasks that kept me from reading. However, I did finish these books:
THE WIG IN THE WINDOW by Kristen Kittscher
Published by: HarperCollins
Publication date: June 18, 2013
Pages: 368
(See previous post for review.)
WORLD PEACE AND OTHER 4TH GRADE ACHIEVEMENTS by John Hunter
Published: April 2, 2013
Published by: Eamon Dolan/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Ever since I watched the TED talk about John Hunter and his World Peace Game, I've been fascinated with his work. This book was a very good read and it gave me a lot to think about! I'm learning more about how to incorporate gaming in school, so this title was a perfect fit for me this week.
THE MIDWIFE'S APPRENTICE by Karen Cushman
Published: March 27, 1995
Published by: HarperCollins
Inspired by my friend Mr. Schu (@MrSchuReads), I started back up on my Newbery Challenge and read The Midwife's Apprentice (historical fiction set in the 1500 -1600s). This book won the Newbery in 1996 and Karen Cushman's writing is excellent!
BEHOLDING BEE by Kimberly Newton Fusco
Published: Feb. 12, 2013
Published by: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Pages: 336
I really loved this book and especially the main character! I will be posting a review of this book on Thursday. I highly recommend it! Treat yourself and purchase a copy of this book!
I'm currently reading:
FLYING THE DRAGON by Natalie Dias Lorenzi
Published: July 1, 2012
Published by: Charlesbridge
Pages: 233
This book is on so many lists! It's on our 2013-2014 Texas Bluebonnet Award Master List, so I am reading it in prep for a great Bluebonnet year in my library! I'm enjoying it so far, and I will review it here this week.
What I'm reading this week:
My courses start back up today, so I'll be reading lots of journal articles. I'm not sure what book I will read this week as I have so many to choose from, and they all look wonderful!
What are YOU reading this week?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





World Peace and Beholding Bee look interesting to me. I just started an ARC of The Testing and am reading Weedfllower and another ARC Almost Home. I don't know how much I will actually read during the week as it is our last week of school. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteWhoops! I meant A Moment Comes not Almost Home. Funny. I really liked Almost Home, but I read that a few months ago. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm hearing so many wonderful things about Wig in the Window! Can't wait to get my hands on it.
ReplyDeleteFlying the Dragon was one of my top five 2012 titles last year. I just loved the alternating narrators and the juxtaposition of Skye's and Hiroshi's relationships with Grandfather. Such a beautiful story that more readers need to know about. I was sad that it didn't make it on the MSBA list this year...held out to the last round...but I'm so excited for Texas readers who will get to read Natalie's beautiful novel.
I plan on reading Zebra Forest (thanks your high recommendation) and Destiny, Rewritten this week
Happy Reading!
Thank you, Susan, for your kind words about DRAGON, and for these other great recommendations! We're about to do end-of-year book orders in our school library, and I'll have this list handy when we do. :-)
DeleteSusan,
DeleteYou will really love ZEBRA FOREST!
And so far, every TX reader I know who has read FLYING THE DRAGON absolutely loves it!
I think I first heard about it from you! Thanks so much!
I also loved Beholding Bee. I thought it was a very special book. I loved the mystery wrapped up in a wonderful main character and historical details. And oh those Aunts . . .
ReplyDeleteI think BEHOLDING BEE is very special. Bee is so great! Thanks for stopping by my blog!
DeleteBeholding Bee sounds really great. I need to put that on my to-read list.
ReplyDeleteI'm bad, I've never visited your blog before, but I LOVE IT! I love the title, I love the background, just everything!
ReplyDeleteI look forward to your review of Beholding Bee, and I'm jumping back on my Newbery wagon later this week when I grab Johnny Tremain, which will be a re-read from long, long ago!
ReplyDeleteBTW, I LOVE seeing "soon to be elem. librarian" in your sidebar bio. <3!
--Lorna
I also loved the "soon-to-be-librarian," as that's similar to my own job! I've been a classroom teacher (including 4th grade) and have been part-time ESL teacher and part-time librarian for the last two years. With my last LMS class under my belt,mI'll be full-time in the library next year--can't wait! :-)
DeleteWow! Thanks for stopping by my blog, Natalie! Looks like we're on the same journey next year! I hope we can connect our libraries in some way.
DeleteCongrats on your position and great book!
Lorna,
DeleteThanks so much for stopping by my little blog! You made me realize it needed some updating so I did just that!
I hadn't heard of Beholding Bee until this past week. It sounds so good! Definitely going to check it out. I think Flying the Dragon might be on my library's new book truck right now. I guess we're kind of late to the party, haha!
ReplyDeleteYou will love Beholding Bee! And you will adore Bee! Thanks for stopping by my blog!
DeleteSome excellent books! I've ordered Wig in the Window, looks fabulous!
ReplyDeleteI hope you enjoy it, Katherine! It really takes you on some twists and turns!
DeleteBelieve or not, I have actually not read Flying The Dragon yet. I couldn't, it was never in my library the past year. After inventory, I will definitely take the tie to red and create a lesson for it.
ReplyDeleteOooh! Create a lesson? Sounds great! I've been meaning to read Flying the Dragon for awhile now. We need to chat about it once we've both read it!
DeleteJust got The Wig in the Window today, I will hunt down your thoughts on that one :) P.S. Congrats on the move to the library! I look forward to hearing about the switch from one teaching setting to another very different one.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Nicole! Yes, I'm already seeing many future blog posts in this! I can't wait! Thanks for stopping by my little blog!
DeleteReally curious about The Wig in the Window... But really, really love that you shared about World Peace. I just loved that TED talk and actually brought it up last week with a teacher. Thrilled to add to my purchasing list to read... and then share with my teachers, thanks!
ReplyDelete