But with Twitter I didn't have that understanding when I first started. I know that I am on Twitter not just to tweet, but to learn and connect with other educators from everywhere! It's a way I learn and grow. So learning how to tweet and participate in discussions was necessary for me. I went about this by first reading other tweets; I guess you might call these my "mentor texts". These were helpful, but I knew I'd have to figure it out for myself, and that it wouldn't be quick or easy.
Even though it's taken me a while, I think I've figured out SOME of the Twitter writing modes. I'm sure someone has figured out much more scientific terms for these things, so forgive my rudimentary terms. This is learning in progress!! This is what I have right now:
- Idea sharing: A lot of people tweet to share their work. I'm always inspired by what they do. It makes ME want to do and create, too. And on Twitter, once you develop your PLN, you start sharing. If there's any reluctance, it's understandable. But someone out there needs to know what YOU know. So share!
- Thought-establishing: Sometimes I'll "see" people talking about a topic on Twitter, and it really forces me to think about how I feel about it. How would I reply to the same question? If this conversation took place face-to-face, what would I say? Lots of critical thinking happening here! Lots of literacy in one exchange!
- Notes-comparing: On Twitter this week, there was an informal and impromptu chat about how librarians manage their Newbery & Caldecott collections. It started with one of us asking a question. Then other people joined in. It was fascinating! Everyone had different ways! But they were ALL right in my opinion! I learned so much. (I think this was also thought-establishing -see Mode 1-- because I realized I would have to make this decision as a librarian one day.)
- Conversation: Sometimes people are just chatting with each other, much like they would do if they ran into one another in the hallway at school. Sharing their day. Talking about a song or a certain type of food. But don't be fooled. This is friendship-building type stuff that will eventually lead to projects and good work done collaboratively on some great topic! It's already led to a few of these for me. And even if it didn't lead to a project, these tweeters are connecting and interacting --and learning together. They are building their own communities. (See #nerdybookclub.)
- Q&A: Every day you'll see tons of questions thrown out to the Twitterverse. Have you tried this tool? Have you read this book? How do you do this or that? I've asked a few of these questions myself. I don't always get answers, but when I do, they are helpful! It's a great way to get help with something. I know that if I need some recommendations for poetry books to add to our collection, all I have to do is ask!
- Inspiration-giving: Sometimes people just give out great quotes or thoughts that inspire me! They might actually quote a famous person, but most of the time, they are just telling about their latest projects, and THAT is inspiring. When I read about a great tool a teacher or librarian is sharing, it inspires me to do the same.
Why are these important to me? The thinking I do when I'm replying and posting is the kind of thinking I want for my students. Analyze something. Form your thoughts. Express them to someone. Listen to theirs. Respond politely and appropriately. Add to the conversation. Ask a question if you don't understand. They may not be tweeting to do this, but they will be communicating in some way.
I'm sure there are more modes I haven't discovered yet. Maybe modes isn't even the right name for them. But this is my place to learn & reflect, so it's okay if it's not perfect yet. What "modes" have I left out?
Meanwhile:
Other non-Twitter things---
What I am reading right now:
I'm still reading REALITY IS BROKEN by Jane McGonigal (see previous post). It's very interesting! I'll share more about this tomorrow!
Also, I just finished a reread of MY LIFE AS A BOOK by Janet Tashjian. Her son Jake is the illustrator! Book 3 is released in May and I'm super excited about it.
Make sure to check my Monday post to see what else I've been reading this week.
Most recent shoe purchase:
Yes, these are sandals. It's getting warmer here in Texas!

Great post! It helps highlight ways to use Twitter better as an educator...I'll definitely be tweeting more purposefully now :)
ReplyDelete