It's the beginning of Spring Break, and though my week is filled with projects and reading, I have more time to write my Monday post today. As always, I join Jen and Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts as we all link up together to share our reading for the past week.
My reading was a bit light. But I managed to finish SOMETHING, despite having three major events consumed my time and thoughts at school:
- Open House (A fun night where my students shared their learning and I talked a lot aboout books and reading with parents)
- World Read Aloud Day (read previous post)
- Scholastic Book Fair (where I visited every morning & afternoon, handsold books, and purchased a few myself--okay --a little more than a few).
GOING VINTAGE by Lindsey Leavitt (YA)
Publication date: March 26, 2013
Published by: Bloomsbury
Pages: 320
Mallory has just broken up with her boyfriend (mainly because he also had an online girlfriend). She swears off all things tech and decides to live like her grandmother did when she went to high school (1962). Isn't that a great premise for a book? I thought so! Mallory is a great main character who is learning what it means to be herself. Her family plays an important role in the story, too. It made me think about the tech I use every day, and the role it plays in our lives. Do you ever wonder if you could go without your cell phone or the Internet for a long period of time? How much do we depend on our tech tools? This book was fun, and it made me think, too. It's my first Lindsey Leavitt book, and it won't be my last.
BAKE SALE by Sara Varon (GN)
Published: 8/30/11
Published by: First Second
Pages: 160
I've been wanting to read this book for a long time. I can never get a copy of it at the library, so when I saw it at the Scholastic Book Fair last week, I had to get it! Also, it's one of the titles nominated for the Texas Bluebonnet Award for 2013-2014.
The main character is Cupcake and he owns a bakery. He wants to improve his craft! Isn't that cute? I thought so. His friend is Eggplant, and they play in a band. Yes, a band! It's a really unique story, and it's totally unpredictable, quirky, and fun. I can't wait to share it. Also, it has recipes! (Even though the main character is adorable, you will still want to eat a cupcake afterward!)
![]() |
| goodreads.com |
AND THEN IT'S SPRING by Julie Fogliano
Published: 2/14/12
Published by: Roaring Brook Press
Pages: 32
I picked this one up at the Scholastic Book Fair, too. A boy is waiting for the brown ground to turn green because he's planted some seeds. It's a simple, beautiful story. I'm rereading it and including the title in a workshop I'm doing this summer about using picture books in the classroom.
What I'm reading now:
![]() |
| goodreads.com |
HOLD FAST by Blue Balliett
Published: March 1, 2013
Published by: Scholastic Press
Pages: 288
I'm in the middle of this one and I love it so far. See my book talk on this one next week!
What are you reading this week?
(By the way, if this is your Spring Break, I wish you a good one!)





Going Vintage does look fun. Your WRAD sounds like it was fabulous too. Glad you had a great week.
ReplyDeleteOhhhh, I can't wait to read Going Vintage! It looks fabulous.
ReplyDeleteI'm definitely moving Hold Fast up in my TBR plan.
Happy reading this week and happy Spring Break!
(Your blog only lets me log in to Google Account, but my blog is here: IMWAYR
I read Sean Griswold's Head recently and really loved it! I'm looking forward to Going Vintage. I saw Lindsey present at NCTE and she is fabulous. I remember reading And Then Spring last year with a few other good spring books...makes me think I should do a spring reads post! I have been carrying Hold Fast around but haven't had a chance to crack it open yet but am very excited to read it!
ReplyDelete