It's Spring Break, and I'm in the middle of a week off from school. Most people take a trip somewhere fun. There will be no trip for me. But I'm not complaining. Instead I will spend it doing the two things I love the most: reading and learning. That may not be everyone's idea of a great vacation, but it is for me.
I get to choose my own books. And I have plenty of them. (But don't get me wrong, I could always use more.)
I get to read it whenever I want. (I am constrained only by sleep and meals. Oh, and some housework.)
I get to stay up late to read. (Reading myself to sleep is just about the best thing ever.)
I get to study without worrying about having to be anywhere. (Lots of projects to do.)
I know I'm probably missing out on something by not being on a vacation. Waves. Calm waters. Scenic views. New things. But where I am is fine because it's a place I've created for myself--my own learning environment. I have everything I need, and the rest is up to me. I'm doing my library school work (work I love and work I've chosen for myself), and learning other things on my own (such as trying out new apps on my iPhone and iPad).
This environment is what I want for my students as well. How can I give them this? I wish it for them, and so I try every day to create it at school in our little classroom within our walls (and beyond them). I do this through my own hard-work efforts, tools and curriculum design that I choose and implement, and seeing things in a new way.
Yes, after I graduate from library school, there will be a vacation. Perhaps a beach. Perhaps not. But the common factor will always be books.
Speaking of books, here's what I'm reading now:
REALITY IS BROKEN by Jane McGonigal
THE DIFFERENT GIRL BY Gordon Dahlquist
Wherever you are this week, I hope you are creating your own learning space for yourself.


Sounds like a great vacation to me!!
ReplyDelete