![]() |
| from Texas Library Assocation |
As a fourth grade teacher in Texas, and as a big fan of children's books, this particular award holds such prestige. Every year, my students read the books, talk about them, and I wait anxiously for the announcement of the new master list . (Hint: my favorite book is on this one.)
According to the Texas Library Association website, suggested titles for this list must meet these requirements:
• Books must have a copyright date of 2011, 2012, or 2013.
• The book must have been published in the U.S. and written by a living U.S. citizen or a current resident.
• The book must have received a favorable review in a review tool.
• The book must have literary merit and potential appeal to young readers.
• The content of the book must be relevant to children in grades 3, 4, 5, or 6.
• Ineligible categories of materials are textbooks and new editions of existing titles.
• Portions, such as poems & short stories, may have been published previously, but the entire book must not have been.
I won't list all the nominees here, but I will share a few of the titles that left a big impression on my students (besides the winners which are listed below). (Click here to see the full 2012-2013 list.)
| from goodreads.com |
| from goodreads.com |
| from goodreads.com |
I have many memories of students in this year's and last year's classes carrying these books, reading them, and swapping them out. Such excitement these books create! It is glorious to watch.
So in the library, as we heard the runners-up and winning titles revealed, I remembered back to that time in Seattle when the winners of the Youth Media Awards were announced just a few weeks ago. I experienced the same kind of inexplicable joy at knowing that books and authors for children are getting recognized as they should. Books aren't celebrated enough, and also, they should be celebrated by more people.
The 2nd runner-up was:
| from goodreads.com |
The first runner-up was:
| from goodreads.com |
And the winner of the Texas Bluebonnet Award for 2013 is:
| from goodreads.com |
Celebrate a book today! Honor the author and his/her work by sharing a book with someone you care about!

No comments:
Post a Comment