I am always on the lookout for a good chapter book for my 4th graders. I came upon Toys Come Home on Goodreads. Having read Toys Go Out and Toy Dance Party, I was excited to find it. My students have always enjoyed these books. They're always checked out of our classroom library.
Toys Come Home is a prequel to the two earlier books. It tells about the origin of many of the things we already know and love about StingRay, Lumphy, and Plastic. I enjoyed it because the stories are told so well, and each is innocent and playful. The toys deal with challenges in a child-like way, and the humor will appeal to kids. I like the way it teaches that friends can solve problems if they work together. They protect one another and worry about each other. The characters show curiousity about the world around them. One of Lumphy's most wonderful lines is: "I can't sleep for all the wondering!"
They also show bravery by facing fears to protect one another.
I can see this as a great read-aloud in my class. A thoroughly loveable book!
It's a great addition to an elementary classroom library.
No comments:
Post a Comment