Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2019

SEA BEAR by Lindsay Moore



Moore, L. Sea bear: a journey for survival. New York: Greenwillow Books, 2019. Print.

When I first read this nonfiction picture book, one word came to mind:  JOURNEYS. As educators, we are each on our own unique journey, and our students are on their own journey as well. Each journey is filled with stories, experiences, and moments, and many of these stories are never shared. 

In Sea Bear, a polar bear is sharing her own story as she journeys through the ice. Using poetic language, rich with both detail and smoothness, this polar bear talks to the reader, explaining her goals, her purpose. She tells us about herself and gives us a glimpse into her struggles. We see the weather change and we marvel at her perseverance. By the last few pages, we are invested - in her, and in her success. Reading this book is a lesson both on behaviors of a polar bear, but also in determination.

I appreciate the word choice and text placement (see double page spread when spring arrives). I also appreciate the calming voice of this polar bear narrator, and that the last page is hope-filled.

I should also mention the colors in the illustrations-- In fact, I don't think I have ever seen so many rich and varying hues of blue, each so natural and lovely.

Sea Bear would be a nice title to include in a study of habitat, animal behaviors, arctic animals, or environment. As a mentor text, I think it is especially suited to that.

Available now!

Many thanks to HarperCollins for the review copy!


No comments:

Post a Comment