Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2019

THIS BOOK OF MINE by Sarah Stewart and David Small



Sometimes it is difficult for me to put my love for books into words. Why do I love books? How has reading become such an integral part of my life? I do this from time to time in posts here and there, in conversations in the library, but I never do it well enough. 

Perhaps that is why I appreciate this upcoming book so much. 

This Book of Mine -- at least in my librarian opinion-- is a sweet, compact, and classic ode to books. It starts with a girl leaving the library with a book, then goes on to show --with succinct, perfectly stated verses-- the many ways we love books: as friends, as companions for the night, as inspiration for our own works, and more. The pages feature various readers of all ages finding joy, imagination, and treasures in books. The book is told in first person, so that as we read it aloud, we are actually reading it as ourselves, agreeing to every phrase, and saying, as I did -- "Yes, yes!"

Readers will take these pages to heart, and indeed claim with appreciation the very words in the title -- not only to repeat it-- but to state it-- for every good book they have loved. For those who don't quite love books yet, the book will show their potential and serve as an invitation.

I appreciated the mostly purple-hued illustrations -- and I noted how Caldecott Medalist David Small used a different color within each spread to highlight the book on the page. The front endpapers have a built-in book plate so that - if you purchase it - you can write your name in it. Kids will love this! Also see the cover: two readers comfortably immersed in books. You can read with friends! You can read with those you care about! This is something you can share. 

Do you love the book The Library (also by Sarah Stewart & David Small)? I do. And I love this book just as much.  

There are many ways this book could be used in the classroom (example: introduction to reader's workshop) or library (a welcome back!) And I have thought of a use for it in my own life -- of course in the library - but also if someone were to ask me why I love books. When someone asks me why I read all the time, I can share THIS book with them. 

When I read This Book of Mine aloud to myself, it is rather like a vow or promise I making to myself-- to keep reading forever and ever. And I will. 

This Book of Mine written and illustrated by husband and wife team Sarah Stewart and David Small will be available August, 27, 2019. Thank you, Macmillan Books, for the review copy! 






No comments:

Post a Comment