I love reading picture books -- as any readers of my blog will know - but I ESPECIALLY love reading them in the summer time. There's more time to sit with them, get to know them, read them, and take in every word. There's also more time to spend absorbing the artwork, and I turn the pages a bit more slowly, usually turning right back to the front when I finish it the first time.
And in the back of my mind, I am also ALWAYS looking for that great book to share with readers at the beginning of the year.
With all of this in mind, I wanted to share these two titles:
Juniper (a raccoon) doesn't like being small. Her size gets in the way of fun and life! So she puts her brain to work and comes up with a contraption that is sure to be the solution. (This was the Makerspace element of the book that I especially liked!) Does her plan work? Well, of course I won't answer that because I don't like spoilers! In the rest of the story, however, she makes a new friend named Clove. After living in Clove's world for a bit, Juniper sees things differently. I appreciated this sweet story of gratitude, perspective, and friendship. This picture book would make a lovely read-aloud! Look for it July 23rd from Farrar, Straus and Giroux. Thank you for sending, Macmillan Children's! Read more about Aidan Cassie here.
Although it is the middle of summer, as an educator I can't help but think about the beginning of school. For so many children, this will be their first FIRST day of school. How special a day this will be!! The King of Kindergarten (Nancy Paulsen, 2019) is about this momentous day -- from the perspective of a boy gearing up for it! I appreciate so many things about this picture book, but, to start, the voice of the story is delightful! The "King of Kindergarten" is the main character, and he is giving himself a rousing pep talk as he plans for about his day: thinking about getting ready, what he will wear, eat for breakfast, and the ride to school in a "big yellow carriage". With this kingdom theme, our sweet main character is fully confident for the first day -- not scared at all! Readers can hear that his mother has prepped him for the day as so many mothers and father do, telling them how great it will be, and he has taken it to heart! One of the other parts of the story I appreciate is how the boy plans to show kindness and courage. He will invite a fellow classmate to play, and he will share his extra dessert. It's a celebratory, delightful picture book filled with the joy that we would want all of our children to experience on the first day of school. Written by Derrick Barnes, the author of Crown: Ode to the Fresh Cut (a 2019 Newbery Honor winner, among many other awards), The King of Kindergarten celebrates its book birthday today! Read more about illustrator Vanessa Brantley-Newton here. The artwork radiates with joy, and every page made me smile.

No comments:
Post a Comment