In our library, we celebrated by hearing from four wonderful authors who shared their works with us:
First, Mina Javaherbin, author of GOAL!, visited our library. GOAL! was a Texas Bluebonnet Award Nominee for 2011-2012. It is a wonderful story of boys in South Africa who love to play soccer. However, each day they play, they must face bullies who want to ruin their fun and take their ball away.
The readers in our library connected with this story because they love soccer, too! I thought it was especially wonderful that Mina told us one reason she reads is so that she can share books with her friends. Isn't that awesome?
Mina was warm and friendly, and so engaging. It was a wonderful start to WRAD!
Next, the amazing Liesl Shurtliff visited our library via Skype. Liesl is the author of RUMP: THE TRUE STORY OF RUMPELSTILTSKIN, one of the 20 books listed on our current 2014-2015 Texas Bluebonnet Award List.
The 4th grade class that participated in the Skype had heard their teacher read the book aloud. They asked fabulous questions and even made pixies for Liesl! Liesl read aloud to the students from one of the chapters of RUMP. One thing I loved about this visit was the excitement the book generated for all fairy tales. (The students in this class were very well-prepared for the visit and had read the original tale.) Liesl shared that the mysteries of the original tale made her want to "look at the story from a different perspective". I love that our readers had the opportunity to interact with her and ask her questions about writing and the book.
![]() |
| Liesl Shurtliff, author of RUMP: The TRUE STORY OF RUMPELSTILTSKIN |
Next, the amazing Liesl Shurtliff visited our library via Skype. Liesl is the author of RUMP: THE TRUE STORY OF RUMPELSTILTSKIN, one of the 20 books listed on our current 2014-2015 Texas Bluebonnet Award List.
The 4th grade class that participated in the Skype had heard their teacher read the book aloud. They asked fabulous questions and even made pixies for Liesl! Liesl read aloud to the students from one of the chapters of RUMP. One thing I loved about this visit was the excitement the book generated for all fairy tales. (The students in this class were very well-prepared for the visit and had read the original tale.) Liesl shared that the mysteries of the original tale made her want to "look at the story from a different perspective". I love that our readers had the opportunity to interact with her and ask her questions about writing and the book.
![]() |
| Kim Baker, author of PICKLE |
Next, 5th graders listened to Kim Baker, author of PICKLE. (PICKLE is on our current Texas Bluebonnet Award List for 2014-2015.) We had just wrapped up our Book Fair, and Pickle was one of the books available.
Kim told our readers about how she came up with the book, and how happy she was that was nominated for a Bluebonnet Award. She read aloud from the book, too! We were grateful to hear her all the way from Seattle! Kim told our readers the importance of feedback in writing. "It's helpful to have someone read your work: they can tell you what works and what doesn't," Kim said.
Our final Skype of the day was with Barbara O'Connor, author of HOW TO STEAL A DOG (also a Texas Bluebonnet Award Nominee for 2008-2009).
![]() |
| Barbara O'Connor, author of HOW TO STEAL A DOG |
She read a chapter aloud, and as I listened, I thought about what an absolutely perfect moment it was! One of my all-time favorite authors was reading one of my all-time favorite books to our students! (As a classroom teacher, I loved reading this book aloud. I wrote about this for the Nerdy Book Club blog. Read my post here.)
This class made LOST DOG posters and as they showed them to Barbara. She read aloud to them, answered their questions, and shared her writing process. Our 4th grade teacher loved that Barbara gave our students very helpful writing advice. Barbara also explained how she got the idea for the character of Mookie, and what the dog Willie really looked like. It was so fascinating!
I look back on this day and marvel at all the learning that was shared! I cannot thank these authors enough for interacting with our readers! I look forward to bringing in more authors via Skype to our library. When I connect students with authors, it helps reading come alive for everyone.
(How awesome that we now have the capability of connecting with authors in this way!)








What an awesome day!
ReplyDeleteWow, that is really fantastic to have 4 authors, let alone all in one day! It can be a ton of work to arrange all of the details-kudos to you for providing this opportunity for your students!
ReplyDelete