Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2014

An Awesome Author Visit with Patrick Carman

Recently, I had the opportunity to take our 5th graders and their teachers to see and hear author Patrick Carman.  (Thanks to  Dr. Rose Brock, fellow librarian,  and Dr. Penny, my awesome principal, for the opportunity!) He is an amazing storyteller and so great with an audience. If you ever have the opportunity to have him come to your school, I highly recommend it!


He showed our readers his "word pictures" and told funny stories from his childhood.


He walked out among the audience, signed cards, and made the kids laugh. He was a hit!



He reminded the audience that to be great writers they must read books. He told them how their imagination was "like a snowflake" and unique to them. I loved that part! 



"Telling a good story out loud is a great way to practice writing," Carman said. That's exactly what he did for us: he told us some great stories!

The presentation was, ultimately, a writing lesson; but it was done in such a natural and entertaining way. Carman was sharing his passion for stories. That's what drew us all in.

I know our students enjoyed this visit! And so did their #happylibrarian.







No comments:

Post a Comment