Pages

Friday, November 1, 2013

Monsters and Carrots in the Library!

What a busy week in the library! Looking back helps me appreciate the awesomeness and set more goals for the future!



  • This week, I read CREEPY CARROTS to first grade, and then we designed our own "creepy" carrots. I also used it to discuss the difference between TRUE and FANTASY.
  • I read THE MONSTERS' MONSTER by Patrick McDonnell to kindergarten, and we used it to discuss characters' actions in a story. (This monster says "thank you" and shares jelly doughnuts with friends!)
  • I taught commenting skills to 3rd graders. They use Kidblogs and I love reading their posts. Now, I'm commenting on the blogs, too!
  • Our 4th and 5th graders wrote Readers' Responses in Edmodo using their iPads, and now all have more book recommendations from their classmates.
  • Two of our 4th grade classes Skyped with other 4th graders in Maine. Both groups had read RULES by Cynthia Lord.

Students talked about their favorite parts in the book and how many awards this book had won! (Newbery Honor 2007, Schneider Family Book Award, 2007 are just 2 of the awards this book has earned.)
  • I connected one of our 5th grade classes with another class from Connecticut. They compared their "fall" weather.
Of course, our students checked out many books, and our wonderful parent volunteers were such a HUGE help as always!

Do you reflect on your week? How does it help you set goals for the future in your own classroom or library?














2 comments:

  1. Love Creepy Carrots. My personal copy was in storage this year (TOTALLY THOUGHT we'd be in the new place by October back when I had to pack up some things this summer) and the school copy that I ordered didn't come in … darn fill rates. I have not seen The Monster's Monster. Who cares if it's November it still looks like fun.
    Goals for next week. Three early dismissal days (p-t conferences) means lots of rush rush rush to get everyone in even just to get books. Not a lot of time for lessons but if the kids have something to read during their extra time? That's awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great assortment of books and activities to go along with them. I met the author of Creepy Carrots back in July. What an interesting and entertaining guy!

    ReplyDelete