Pages

Friday, November 15, 2013

Another Picture Book Month Gem!

Sometimes sharing a book with someone helps you see it in a whole new way.




I read THE DARK to 3rd and 4th graders today. As I read it aloud, and saw their reactions (wide-eyed, expectant, hanging on my every word), I began to get a sense for its effect on readers. Laszlo had their complete attention. And so did The Dark.

Some pages brought hushed silence, while others made them wonder aloud with exclamations. They also noted the intricacies of the illustrations: the angles, the choice of text color, the shining of the flashlight. Each group brought up points and questions I hadn't considered. After, I collected thoughts and questions on sticky notes. One student asked: "Where are his parents?" Another said: "I'm not afraid of the dark".

Each class asked a different set of original questions -- and this -- once again--proved to me the awesomeness of picture books: each of us brings something different to the experience, and then it becomes something different altogether.

I see this book in a new way now. I see it through the eyes of young readers -- with wonder and energy.

Here's the trailer for THE DARK by Lemony Snicket (illustrated by Jon Klassen).



What do you think of this book? Have you shared it with students?

1 comment:

  1. I have not read this to my students yet... Some books are great conversation starters. Did you read the book and them ask questions, or have dialogue as you were reading? Seems like a very simple picture book...

    ReplyDelete