Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2012

What Am I Reading This Summer?

Summer has arrived! The reading has begun!

What will I be reading this summer?
  • I'll be reading for lots of articles and textbook chapters for my grad class. With this kind of reading, I'll highlight, use thinking maps, and take notes to comprehend the material. I'll be doing what my students do to understand the concepts. It's good for a teacher to take courses like this! It helps you understand the process your students go through as they are learning!
  • I'll be reading professional books to improve my teaching. First, I'll read The Passion Driven Classroom by Angela Maiers and Amy Sandvold. (My copy is signed by Angela Maiers since she came to speak to our district last week!)

My district is hosting an online book study, so I will be earning credit hours as I discuss this book with fellow teachers on Edmodo! I'll also be reading 10 Things Every Writer Needs to Know by Jeff Anderson. I heard him speak in San Antonio and I really enjoyed his presentation. If you teach elementary language arts, I highly recommend another of Anderson's books: Everyday Editing.                                                   

But my most favorite reading of all will be my #bookaday reading. Donalyn Miller hosts a #bookaday challenge for teachers and librarians over the summer. We pledge to read a book a day for the entire summer. So far, I've managed to keep up (though it's been difficult with grad school). I've read some really good books so far! Make sure to read my Monday post where I will review two of them! Here are the titles I have on my TBR (to-be-read) pile. Most are YA titles.
    • Divergent by Veronica Roth
    • Floors: Book 1 by Patrick Carman
    • Bluefish by Pat Schmatz
    • Unstoppable by Tim Green - A SIGNED copy! :-)
    • Crossed by Ally Condie
    • Cinder by Marissa Meyer
My summer so far has been filled with reading, studying, presenting, and completing other literacy-related projects. I move from one task to the other. But I reward myself with #bookaday. . and I remind myself that for me, a great summer is a summer filled with good books and learning.

What professional books are you reading this summer?



1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog and the title made me smile. I always get a teased because I love to wear heels...even to teach in!

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness
    Come join my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete