It's Monday, and it's time for me to link up again with Jen and Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts. Like #bookaday, "It's Monday" helps me stay focused!
This week was my first full week of summer. I did have one presentation this week, and I have started my grad work, but I continue to read. It's my reward for hard work!
What did I read this week?
Picture books:
The Lonely Book by Kate Bernheimer
I Am the Dog by Daniel Pinkwater
Leonardo, the Terrible Monster by Mo Willems
Flight of the Dodo by Peter Brown
Giddy Up, Cowgirl by Jarret J. Krosoczka
Brownie and Pearl Grab A Bite by Cynthia Rylant
Blue Chameleon by Emily Gravett
I loved Leonardo, the Terrible Monster the most. It was a really cute story about a monster who wants to be scary, but isn't.
Graphic Novels:
Johnny Boo: Twinkle Power by James Kochalka
Johnny Boo: Happy Apples by James Kochalka
(These are super silly and fun, and they're about a ghost named Johnny Boo and his friend, Squiggle.)
One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
Published by: Nancy Paulsen Books (Penguin Group for Young Readers-USA)
Published: May 10, 2012
This book is one I won't soon forget. I wouldn't want to! It tells the story of Carley, a young girl in foster care and her stuggles to understand herself, her mother, and the family who has taken her in. Her life has been difficult, but she's developed ways to cope. When an incident with her mother and her mother's boyfriend erupts, she moves in with the Murphys, and she narrates her story in a voice that is true and touching. The plot and the emotion completely took over. One for the Murphys broke my heart in a way good books usually do! You must also know that it was a late night book--the kind of book you MUST finish before you can sleep.
Read this book as soon as you can!
Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson
Published by: Delacorte Book for Young Readers
Published: September 26, 2006
Awards: Newbery Honor (2007); Rebecca Caudill Young Reader's Book Award Nominee (2009)
Hattie Big Sky is one of my new favorites. It's a wonderful book about a girl who must "prove up" a homestead claim left to her by her uncle. She's lost her parents, and living with her aunt and uncle is difficult. So she journeys on her own to Montana to take up acres of land, lots of work, and her dreams. Hattie is hard-working, witty, and strong. I was so inspired by her character that after reading this book, I noticed how spurred on I was to do more in my own life! Kirby Larson's writing is so incredible and perfect it will make you wish the book never ended.
There is a sequel coming. I am as anxious for it as I am for a shoe sale at my favorite department store!!
This week I am reading:
Guys Read: Funny Business--Edited by Jon Scieszka
Maya B. - A Novel by Caroline Starr Rose
I'm also participating in #summerthrowdown. I can't let #teamteacher down. I must read!
What are you reading this week?



Go #teamteacher!!
ReplyDeleteI can't get my hands on One For the Murphys quick enough. I need to see what all of the fuss is about for myself!
(I can't comment from my Wordpress account, but I have my It's Monday post at http://fountainreflections.wordpress.com!)
I love Leonardo! I was all ready to tell you and then I saw that it was your favorite and I was even more excited. We love him at our house and we have found him in at least one of the Knuffle Bunny books. We love spotting Mo Willems characters in books they don't belong in. :)
ReplyDeleteI need to read One For the Murphys! Keep seeing people talking about it all over the place!
Oh, thanks so much for this lovely review. I really appreciate your support, Mrs. Alaniz! (BTW, my daughter's English teacher wore great shoes every day last year; I began to look forward to the shoe report.)
DeleteAnd, Jen and Jennifer--if you do get your hands on MURPHYS, I do hope you enjoy it.
Thanks, again, Cynthia!
Happy summer!
Lynda,
DeleteThank you SO much for stopping by my blog! I am so honored! But mostly, thank you for writing such a wonderful book. I respect authors so much for their ability to create story out of blank pages. You've created a great one.
It sounds like your daughter's teacher and I would get along great. My students give shoe reports, too.
You are SO welcome! Happy summer to you as well, Lynda!!!