Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

Every Monday, I happily join Jen and Kellee over at Teach Mentor Texts in their Monday meme called "It's Monday! What Are You Reading?" We discuss our reading for the week and preview our upcoming books.

My school year is officially over, so that means more time to read.
On Saturday, I headed over to my public library to pick up more books.
Here were my picture-book reads for the weekend:

Summer Visitors by Karel Hayes
(This one was a mini-graphic novel in PB form. It tells a funny, playful story about two families enjoying their summer! One is a family of bears!

Utterly Otterly Night by Mary Casanova
It's a musical picture book about a family of otters and their scary adventure. It's great for verbs and adverbs and it follows a great pattern & rhythm I think early readers will enjoy.

Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet by Jane O'Connor
GEM by Hollie Hobbie
Monster Mess by Lewis Trondheim (a graphic novel that looks like a picture book)
Penny and Her Song by Kevin Henkes (I finally read this one! Penny really just wants to sing her song, but she has to wait!)
Nancy Clancy Super Sleuth by Jane O'Connor (a first chapter book for early readers)

I also finally read GREEN by Laura Vaccaro Seeger:


 Reading this book is like going on an adventure. You never kn0w where each page will take you. There are wonderful cutouts on pages that are clues to the next page, too. Great for young readers! I loved this book that is all about the color green.


I also finished The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy. This is a book about the princes in the lives of Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White,  and Rapunzel. The princes join forces and go on an adventure that will make you laugh out loud more than once! It's a really enjoyable middle grade book, and I can hardly wait for Book 2!

This week, I plan to finish Ruby Redfort: Look Into My Eyes by Lauren Child.
I've also had Lions of Little Rock for a while, so I need to read that. For professional reading, I must finish The Passion-Driven Classroom: A Framework for Teaching and Learning by Angela Maiers and Amy Sandvold. I'll be hearing Angela Maiers this week, so I want to be prepared.

Finally, I also finally managed to get copies of The Flying Beaver Brothers graphic novels. I can't wait to try those! 

Happy reading to everyone!



5 comments:

  1. Oh! I can't remember where I put my copy of Hero's Guide...I Need to find that so I don't forget to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hero's Guide is such a fun book- I didn't realize there was going to be a second one, that is so exciting!

    I haven't read any of the other books you've listed- I love learning about new books :)

    Happy reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't Green fabulous? I still need to read The Hero's Guide. It's wasting away in my TBR pile. Can't wait to hear what you think of Ruby. You're the first person I know of who is reading it. I love, love, love The Lions of Little Rock. It's probably my favorite MG novel of 2012 (so far).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep seeing the Hero's Guide, but really didn't know what it was about. You have convinced me that I will need to read it. I love humor and fairy tales combined.

    I think you will enjoy Lions of Little Rock. It has been one of my favorite 2012 books. Enjoy your summer reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know there would be a second book to the Hero's Guide. I liked it, even though I didn't think I needed more medieval/fairy tale fantasy books!

    ReplyDelete