I've been trying to write this blog post for awhile now, but the end of the school year came, and, well, it got REALLY busy! Every time I tried to write a draft, something else came up. I'm sure other school librarians out there can relate!
Now that I'm finally getting down to telling you all about this fabulous author visit, I am hoping my joy from the event will shine through in this post!
Our library was fortunate to host author Nancy Churnin recently. Nancy is the author of The William Hoy Story, a title on the 2017-2018 Texas 2X2 List. Nancy is also the theater critic for The Dallas Morning News. She spoke to our 2nd and 3rd graders and they absolutely enjoyed her visit so much!
In her presentation, Nancy shared these two books:
In sharing them, Nancy brought her books to life, reading from them with the type of passion only authors can bring to their work. The subjects of both of the biographies (William Hoy and Dashrath Manjhi) showed dedication and perseverance in pursuit of their ideas and passion, and Nancy tells their story well, not only in her writing but also in telling us about them!
I thought an author visit was a perfect way to cap off the school year! I am hoping our students will be even more excited about all books this summer because of the joy they experienced. I am sure they could see my own happiness! And I am sure they were as inspired as I was!
If you have not read Manjhi Moves a Mountain, I highly recommend it! Manjhi accomplished an impossible task through commitment, heart, and support from others. A truly inspirational and TRUE story! And an award-winning book, too!
Read more about Nancy Churnin's books here.


No comments:
Post a Comment