I finished up my banner, sent out the information, and then soon afterward began my Spring Break weekend-- heading to the Tucson Festival of Books where I had panels to attend and work to do.
I hadn't really connected these events (MBM and TFOB), but when I returned home, I reflected back on my trip and realized they were indeed very much connected.
When I attended the Festival, I was attending as a librarian, yes, but mostly I was celebrating as a reader. It felt great to be among other fans of books, walk past the booths, clap enthusiastically for authors, and revel in the fact that THOUSANDS appreciate books just as much as I do.
I was able to talk to other readers about books we'd read, and then nod in agreement and recognition when we saw books we all knew. This brief weekend trip did much to fuel my devotion to children's literature and inspired me to keep learning about, reading, and sharing children's books.
Then I thought about our March Book Madness:
It will be a time when our students can talk about books they've read with others, cheer enthusiastically, and perhaps learn that others appreciate books as much as they do! Book events like March Book Madness are essential in our library because these events might be a students's first "book festival" and a preview of more to come! It might be the first time they realize that it is okay to clap for books and that others will want to do the same! These events give our young readers a glimpse of the "reading life" that is possible for them: a lifetime of talking about books with others and connecting yourself to a community of readers wherever you live. Just as importantly, events like these tell readers that books ARE worth celebrating! With food! With friends! With joy!
So there will be more book events like this in our library (hopefully the next one will have a banner that is easier to make) and most definitely, there are more book festivals in this librarian's future.
*********************************************************************************
What books am I celebrating this week? Check out these titles:
| Panel at Tucson Festival of Books with Chris Britt, Jessixa Bagley, and Matthew Cordell |
When I attended the Festival, I was attending as a librarian, yes, but mostly I was celebrating as a reader. It felt great to be among other fans of books, walk past the booths, clap enthusiastically for authors, and revel in the fact that THOUSANDS appreciate books just as much as I do.
I was able to talk to other readers about books we'd read, and then nod in agreement and recognition when we saw books we all knew. This brief weekend trip did much to fuel my devotion to children's literature and inspired me to keep learning about, reading, and sharing children's books.
Then I thought about our March Book Madness:
So there will be more book events like this in our library (hopefully the next one will have a banner that is easier to make) and most definitely, there are more book festivals in this librarian's future.
*********************************************************************************
What books am I celebrating this week? Check out these titles:




No comments:
Post a Comment