Pages

Sunday, March 5, 2017

Becoming a Future Ready Librarian






I know February 14th was Valentine's Day, but I will remember it for a different reason. Not for the hearts or roses. Not for the conversation hearts. Or the lovely dinner I enjoyed.

I will remember it fondly because it was the day I watched the Future Ready Librarian webinar hosted by Shannon Miller, Mark Ray, Tom Murray, and Kristen Mattson. (If you want to watch it, visit Shannon Miller's blog post about it here.)

Future Ready Librarians is part of a program/initiative to utilize school libraries in efforts to promote personalized learning for students. I had heard about it just before the school year started, and I had a feeling I would want to be a part of it. When I saw the webinar, I knew. 

I am always trying to be a better librarian. And I want to know about all of the ways I can help students and teachers. Connecting to the Texas Library Association as well as ALA helps me do that because of the people with whom I am connected. And this particular work is also resonating with me -- perhaps because it pushes me to keep learning and trying new things. Perhaps because it feels so great to be connected to something bigger. 

Our district librarians are working on this together, so I have comfort in learning with friends. But I also have to make sense of it for myself. To do this, I have been taking one "wedge" of the wheel at a time (see the site mentioned above and you will understand) and interpreting it in my own words. Before each day begins in the library, I take a look at the wheel and ask myself some questions:
What does it mean for me? How can I accomplish this? How do I already do this? After doing this, I usually find one small thing I can do -- and tie it to my plans for the day. I get excited about the possibilities! 

Throughout the day, I've been able recognize opportunities to be "Future Ready". After a completing a particular task at school, I usually tell myself: "This is on the wheel!" And that makes me so happy! 

I am excited about what role our school library can continue to play in the learning in my building. 
And thanks to #futurereadylibs, I have more ways to help make this happen! 





No comments:

Post a Comment