Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Summer Reading: Book Lists

In my library this week, I am talking to young readers about their summer reading. I want them to maintain and improve upon the reading growth they have acquired this year, of course, but mostly, I want them to keep enjoying good books.

I know some of them will not need a book list at all. They can walk past a shelf and pick out something for themselves entirely on their own. They have heard about a particular book from a friend, or seen someone else with a certain title, and they know exactly what they want.

Sometimes readers, however, need a list -- something that serves as a starting point. For readers -- suddenly without their teachers and librarians in those summer days --  the book lists serve a purpose.

I know that as a reader, I use book lists almost as a checklist: "I've read this one, I've read that one, I haven't heard of that one", etc., etc. And then sometimes, my reading stacks become their own lists.

Summer reading lists are suggestions, and can be very interesting to readers! They lead us to books we might not have found on our own.

Two lists that I will share this week:

50 Sensational Books of Summer  (Scholastic)

and:

ALSC Summer Reading Lists-2016 (American Library Association)

Which book lists will you share?



No comments:

Post a Comment