Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2016

Waiting

Next Monday (Jan. 11th), the winners of the 2016 Youth Media Awards will be announced. The awards include the Newbery, Caldecott, Geisel, Coretta Scott King, and Pura Belpré winners -- among others. For a complete listing, click here.

(And if you'd like to watch the broadcast with these announcements, click here.)

As I wait with my fellow librarians for this day to arrive, I am thinking about the 2015 books I did - and did not -- read. (It will be a week of thinking, predicting, and guessing -- and, also, rereading.)

And I can't help but think about the following book. A book about ---  waiting.



Henkes, Kevin. Waiting. New York: HarperCollins, 2015. Print.

I think it is the perfect time to reread this picture book. In it, a pig, an owl, a bear, a puppy, and a rabbit all sit at a window pane, gazing out and waiting. All except the rabbit are waiting for something in particular. And for them, what they are waiting for makes sense. (Example: the bear waits for the wind because he has a kite!)

Henkes tells this story using a soft, candy-like palette of pink, cream, mint, and powder blue. Time passes by as they wait, and the weather changes -- this is shown to the reader through window scenes and panels: snow, fireworks, falling leaves, rain. Some pages are wordless, some have text layered like ladder steps, and some pages only include text. Some mimic a window's edge, and on a few pages, the world opens to us as the window opens, too.

It was a pleasure to reread this one -- again. As I wait.

This book will, indeed, make you think about the process of waiting. When we wait in line, wait for something to happen, or wait for someone to arrive, our scenery changes. Sometimes we wait alone. Sometimes we wait with others. Sometimes we are just waiting -- and not sure what we will get in return.

If we are fortunate, the waiting brings us what we seek. Or, something we do not expect. Something better. 

Sometimes the waiting is the story.

On Monday, Jan. 11th,  I will be waiting with my fellow librarians and other children's literature enthusiasts to hear who has won these prestigious awards. 

And I sure that whatever the result, the waiting will be worth it.






No comments:

Post a Comment