Pages

Friday, January 1, 2016

Elephant & Piggie Book: I REALLY LIKE SLOP

I have been meaning to blog about this one, and with the winter break, I am finally doing just that!

Willems, Mo. I Really Like Slop! New York: Hyperion, 2015. Print. 



Kindergarten just adores Elephant and Piggie! And who can blame them? These two have a great relationship, and provide us so much humor -- and great read-alouds, too! 

This fun and silly adventure ends up being a great lesson in friendship. Our friends have different tastes, different favorites, different likes and dislikes. Sometimes we try out those favorites and love them, and sometimes we don't! Here, Piggie is trying to "sell" Elephant on his favorite food (slop!), but it is green, and, as you can see from the cover, attracts flies! Elephant's reactions are perfect: tongue out, and an emphatic "NO WAY!" when Piggie asks him to try it. But Elephant has a soft spot for Piggie, and - spoiler alert -- gives in to Piggie's pleas. Does Elephant end up loving the stuff? Well, I won't reveal that here, but I can tell you that the result is hilarious, absurb, and much fun for both reader and listener. 

As with Mo Willems' many books, it hits the right note. With Elephant and Piggie, we are comfortable -- knowing that whatever takes place, it will be fun, and light, and make us laugh. 

With plenty of white space, loud and vociferous quotations, onomatopoeia, and outrageousness, this book will be requested and checked out again and again. Just like the other Elephant & Piggie books! 

Click here for a listing! 

And watch Mo Willems talk about the book in the video below: 


1 comment:

  1. OH, MY GOSH!!! Mo Willems is a hoot! Thanks for sharing this trailer ~ I MUST show this to my students! One of my kinder classes is beginning a Willems author study next week and I'm planning to read I REALLY LIME SLOP.

    ReplyDelete