So, with that said, I might also add that my book stack combinations are always interesting to me because I think they give the week a certain kind of flavor! I think about them alot, and just might bring them up in conversation. Sometimes they steer me to do some research, or learn more about the illustrator or backstory.
Here are the books I am reading/rereading/sharing this week:
I'm sharing this one in the library along with a lesson on writing citations for books used in research. I have blogged about this one before, and I first learned about it at an NCTE conference a few years ago because it was named an Orbis Pictus Honor Book in 2013. This one is a wonderful example of narrative nonfiction.
This one is a classic published in 1940! I reread it recently because I received a copy of the sequel: More Caps for Sale (HarperChildren's, 2015). It's very lively and filled with patterns and repetition, and there are many possibilities here for storytime fun.
I will also be sharing Winnie: The True Story of the Bear Who Inspired Winnie-the-Pooh (Macmillan, 2015). In particular, I am sharing it to highlight narrative nonfiction with 3rd graders. They've learned about text features, and I can't wait to give them an example of how truly engaging nonfiction can be. This one has photographs in the endpapers, and the illustrations complement the text very well.
I thoroughly enjoyed Three Times Lucky and The Ghosts of Tupelo Landing (Books 1 & 2, respectively, in the Mo & Dale series), and it is the right time to read this book. I should also add that Ghosts of Tupelo Landing is a 2015-2016 Texas Bluebonnet Award Nominee. Last year, Sheila was kind enough to Skype with one of my 4th grade classes and it was such a wonderful experience for all of us.
What books are by YOUR side this week?





No comments:
Post a Comment