| Our place setting and Nelson's latest book If You Plant a Seed (Balzer + Bray, 2015). |
| The Children's Literature Assembly celebrates its 40th anniversary this year. I had a great seat for Nelson's presentation. |
Nelson spoke to us about his career as an author and illustrator, and looking back now as I blog here I wish I'd taken better notes so I could recall every word. (I was so engaged in his words that I could only managed to tweet out a few bits here and there.) He shared photos of early drawings he'd done as a child. These were fascinating to me because, of course, I think about our students and the drawings they create at school every day. (I sometimes find these in books in the library, tucked between pages, forgotten bookmarks left behind for others-- and this librarian -- to discover.)
At one point, Nelson brought up libraries (one of my favorite parts of the speech). Specifically, he talked about how his favorite books to check out as a child were the How to Draw books. Nelson used these books to learn techniques, and to practice, and as he showed us a few sketches -- his talents were already clearly evident. I once again thought of those students who walk through the doors of our library every day and select these books for themselves. They check the book out, then immediately ask for paper to sketch right there in the library (which I happily provide), unable to wait a second more until they go back to their classroom.
As his career began, Nelson worked in the movie industry, his illustrations the basis for some amazing camera shots. I found it fascinating that in this work as well he was developing his craft.
And speaking of craft, this photo of a page from Baby Bear is particularly stunning. I didn't crop it because I wanted to show Nelson's hand on the right - he is pointing to it as he talks about it.
You can see the moon in Baby Bear's eyes, and can sense his determination and hope. He is immersed in the light, and being drawn in. The shading of the fur, the upturn and placement of the nose, and that slight formation of tears at the bottom of each eye all work to give readers a sense Baby Bear's appreciation of this point in his journey.
As Nelson discussed his books, I made a decision to go back and reread the titles I was familiar with, and find ones I'd missed somehow. (I will see them all with fresh eyes having heard Nelson speak.) I also decided I would order even more drawing books for our library. In our midst, and walking through our library doors, there are authors and illustrators who seek to improve their skills. As a school librarian, it is a privilege to serve them and support their learning.
To learn more about Nelson's work, visit his website here.
No comments:
Post a Comment