Pages

Monday, November 2, 2015

Picture Book Month Begins




November is Picture Book Month! Before I became a librarian, I celebrated this month by reading many -- and I do mean many -- picture books with my class. I remember fondly that my students would count how many they'd read and post a chart on butcher paper to keep track! Now as a librarian, I share them daily with everyone! All the time!

To find out more about #picturebookmonth, click here. 

I love reading picture books, and I especially love to buy them (and give them as gifts, too). I've written here before that they are like puzzles to me: readers can look at the text, then the illustrations, then how the two work together. There is so much to appreciate and understand about them! Within the page of a picture book, a reader can find not only a story, but also an experience! Of course, they can also be good examples of writing and help readers develop their thinking skills.
 
If you love picture books and need more titles, make sure you check out the hashtag #picturebookmonth on Twitter. I will be sharing picture books here and will do my best to post a book a day!

Here is a picture book I've been rereading recently: 


Zagarenski, Pamela. The Whisper. New York: HMH Books for Young Readers, 2015. Print. 
 
I'm writing a blog post about this one. When I recommended the book to a colleague, I told them this: "If you love reading, you need to read this book."
 
Read more about this book here.
 
Happy November, and Happy Picture Book Month!
 
 
 
 






1 comment:

  1. The Whisper is such a beautiful book! I included it in a roundup post about picture books for fall. I love the artwork!
    Dena @ Batch of Books

    ReplyDelete