Today I am happy to celebrate a book birthday! (I really do LOVE book birthdays!) Happy Book Release Day to Arree Chung, author of NINJA!, a sweet picture book about a boy with a great imagination!
I asked Mr. Chung several questions, and here are his replies!
Me: Librarians and teachers love to give book talks! When
others ask you to tell about NINJA!, what do you tell them about it?
Mr. Chung: I tell them about Maxwell, a 6 yr old boy who
dresses up as a Ninja and causes havoc in his house by living out his Ninja
fantasy. It’s a perfect jumping in point for readers to get exposure to
comics with panels, word bubbles and sequential story telling. There are
lots of places to talk about irony and how words and pictures work together.
For instance “...to defeat angry beasts” and “…a ninja goes unseen.”
Most of all, I tell them how fun the book is
and how it can capture kid’s imaginations to go on their own ninja adventures.
Me: What did you enjoy about writing this picture book?
There was so many things that I loved in making
this book. For the writing, I really enjoyed pairing down the words and
trying to find the voice that would go along with the adventure. Earlier
drafts had many more words and it really was a reductive process to get it just
right. For instance, I toyed with changing the words “sacred cup” to
“sippy cup” thinking it could be funnier. My editor, Kate was so helpful in
pointing out that sacred cup worked much better. Sometimes you’re so into the work that it’s
helpful to have a guide to get you back on track.
Me: How did the idea for NINJA! come about?
The original idea for Ninja came about randomly
when I was in art school. I scribbled
out the idea: A boy dresses up as a Ninja and goes sneaking around the
house. It was just an idea and I never
thought it would my break out story.
When I signed up for the SCBWI 2012 summer conference,
I also enrolled into the illustration intensive workshop. The assignment
was to submit a manuscript along with thumbnails, character sketch and a full
illustration for a story. I had been working on a few stories for years
but was stuck on most of them. I decided
to start anew so I flipped through my sketchbooks and found Ninja.
I was super busy wrapping up a few other
projects that I didn’t work on Ninja for a couple of weeks. I did think about it a lot and wrote little
scribbles and doodles down. All of a
sudden, I realized the deadline for the assignment was due in two days, so I
one night, I stayed up and frantically worked through 14 versions of the
story. In the morning, I had a story I
liked. It wasn’t perfect but it was
solid. I think having to simplify and
get the story done for the deadline really helped me. I haven’t been able to write another story in
a few days since. Sigh!
You can read the details of my path to
publishing on my blog:
http://arreechung.blogspot.com
Because my blog name is Librarian in Cute Shoes, I loved the part in NINJA! where Arree Chung mentions that all ninjas needs "silent ninja footwear".
In fact, here is one of his sketches about how to make your own costume. I love it!
Because my blog name is Librarian in Cute Shoes, I loved the part in NINJA! where Arree Chung mentions that all ninjas needs "silent ninja footwear".
In fact, here is one of his sketches about how to make your own costume. I love it!
Me: What are the challenges in both writing and illustrating your own picture book?
The hardest part is coming up with a great
concept and the story. As an author/illustrator, writing and drawing go
hand in hand. It actually makes the
process easier. There are times in the process where it’s helpful to put
the sketchbook away and only focus on the words. For this, I like to use
flash cards to emulate page turns. I can
also get a sense of pacing and how it reads out loud.
Most of the time, I am working on the words and
pictures together. That’s one of the things I love most about picture
books. The words and pictures play
together to tell the whole story.
Me: Tell us about the role libraries have played in your
life.
I LOVE libraries. When I was a kid, it
was my home. I went there to day dream,
to do homework and to draw anything I wanted.
Books opened new worlds up for me.
I loved reading adventure stories like James and the Giant Peach, Mrs.
Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, and Rikki Tikki Tavi.
It’s funny because, thirty years later, I find
myself doing a lot the same things I did as a kid. I go to libraries and coffee shops. I get lost in stories and I dream on paper.
I feel so lucky that I get to make books now and the thought of my book showing
up in libraries gives me goose bumps!
Me: I especially loved the ninja stars on the endpapers of
NINJA! How did you decide on that?
I couldn’t count the amount of ninja stars I
made as a kid. Probably at least 1,000. When I was collecting
patterns for possible end papers, it struck me. I had to have paper ninja
stars! It was one of those, “duh” moments.
I made several versions of the end papers. Here’s a red one that I liked a lot.
For a long time, I couldn’t decide which one I
liked better, the red or green one. In
the end I’m happy with the choice we made.
Thank you, Arree Chung, for being a guest on my blog today and for sharing your art with us here!
Now, enjoy the book trailer for Ninja! (It's so clever!)






I love how the author said that libraries were his "home" when he was a kid. I fondly remember the libraries at my high school and college. They were definitely my home away from home.
ReplyDelete~ Michael
www.thecolorofsound.edublogs.org
Michael,
ReplyDeleteI definitely feel at home in a library. In fact, my home pretty much feels like one.
I'm so glad you have fond memories or your high school library. I wish that for every high school student!
Thank you for reading my post today. And thank you for taking the time to comment.
Gratefullly,
Cynthia