The thoughts of an elem. librarian who loves children's literature, libraries, technology, writing, ---and throughout it all must wear cute shoes!
Tuesday, May 20, 2014
The Brilliance of Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa
Silverman, Erica. Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa. Ill. by Betsy Lewin. New York: HMH Books for Young Readers, 2005. ISBN 9780152021245.
This book is absolutely delightful, and the proof can be seen when it is shared with 1st and 2nd graders. They love hearing about Cocoa the horse and how he is always hungry or thirsty. They love how Cowgirl Kate takes such good care of him. These four simple chapters combine to form a great story for readers.
Reading the book aloud helped me see things I hadn't noticed before.
For example:
I love the connection between Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa. Even though he's always asking for a drink, or food, she's always kind to him. He in turn, compliments her on her storytelling. In "The Surprise", Kate brings him a gift. Cocoa is so impatient to open it, he kicks over his bucket of oats. My students loved this part because they can relate and don't like waiting to open gifts either. (Neither do I!)
In "Counting Cows", Cowgirl Kate is trying to count all of the cows, but she's having some trouble because Cocoa isn't being cooperative. She decides to climb up a tree to see better. Cocoa does not approve (he doesn't think it's safe), and he decides to help her out instead. The illustrations by Betsy Irwin Kate show the care Cocoa has for Kate and vice versa.
I love Kate's passion for the cowboy life and her dedication to the work. She's ready to herd cows, and even spends the night in a barn. "I am a cowgirl from the boots up," says Kate. This is one of my favorite lines in the book.
Another thing I love about this book? Cowgirl Kate's red boots.
By the way, Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa won a 2006 Geisel Honor Award.
Most importantly, after I read this book to students, I couldn't keep any of them on the shelves.
That made me a #happylibarian.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment