Pages

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Writing to My Own Prompt

On the return trip from #ncte13, I decided to reread my second (signed) copy of DUKE by Kirby Larson (Scholastic, 2013). When I read the book as an ARC in the summer, I pretty much devoured it, and this time I wanted to really enjoy the story.) I considered myself extremely fortunate to be able to see Kirby again in Boston. (Her Hattie character is so inspirational, and she is a dear friend of mine and of the #nerdybookclub.)  When I opened the book to take a look at Kirby's signature, I first smiled as I recalled the moment, but then I noticed the message. (I was so busy at NCTE trying to catch everything and had very little time, so it's not a surprise to me that I didn't read it.)

"Be your own kind of brave." --Kirby Larson

I made the connection to the character in the book (which I highly recommend), but then I also made the connection to my own experience.  Yes, "Be brave" is a good motto. But this version added a twist to it. It gave me permission--in a way--to be what only I could be. I know how important it is to personalize for the learners in my charge, but do I do this for myself?

The arrival of a new year is all about resolutions and setting goals. But I think I'm in the middle of achieving  mine. (I'm enjoying my first year as a librarian after many wonderful years as a classroom teacher). Two constant goals: helping the learners in our library as they continue on their own path, and reading as much children's literature as I possibly can.

I really had every intention of contributing to all of the great posts I read on Dec. 31st. I tried to write an end-of-year post on New Year's Eve, and it just didn't happen.  I tried again on New Year's Day, but that didn't go well, either. Top ten list? Best moments of? Nothing seemed quite right. One little word? I don't know if that's possible for me. It's too hard to choose just one (although I do like all of these: BELIEVE, HOPE, and, of course, READ.)

I can see now why I was having trouble. These writing assignments didn't work for me. I had to create my own: remember a phrase that meant a lot to you and apply it to your own life.

I'm happy to look back at Kirby's words and relish in their meaning. "Be your own kind of brave." They are, of course, not the only words I live by. But they have -- and will -- come in handy many times. Thank you, Kirby!









2 comments:

  1. This is lovely Cynthia. I have this book literally beside my bed and I need to get to it. I commend you for not feeling the pressure to do all those kinds of posts, it gets overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Such great inspiration! You've given the gift of example to something that is easily taken for granted...thank you for for this post!

    ReplyDelete