Pages

Saturday, December 7, 2013

"Discovering" Nonfiction

Listening to an author talk about his/her work has an enormous impact on a reader.

Case in point: Me.

Sy Montgomery at the Children's Literature Assembly Breakfast -- NCTE 2013


At  the Children's Literature Assembly breakfast at NCTE, Sy Montgomery spoke about her book THE TAPIR SCIENTIST. 



She told us interesting stories about the Pantanal and the field work scientists do with tapirs. Montgomery partners with photographer Nic Bishop (who Skyped in from New Zealand) to create award-winning nonfiction books such as KAKAPO RESCUE: SAVING THE WORLD'S STRANGEST PARROT and THE SNAKE SCIENTIST. When you listen to her speak, you walk away knowing how passionate she is about her work: "When you are around cheetahs purring, it is like the ocean is in your heart," she said. As we listened, Bishop and Montgomery exchanged memories of their perilous adventures together. These were stories that made us gasp in amazement and admire them all the more. I appreciated what a privilege it was to be in the audience.

This one session -- all too brief--had its effect. When I returned from NCTE, I had a hunger for nonfiction picture books. (While I have, of course, read non-fiction, seeing something with 'fresh eyes' makes you more grateful for it.) I found as many as I could and started pouring through them. I "discovered" detailed books with authors notes, and sidebars, illustrations, captions, photographs, inset maps, etc. I "discovered" rich, exciting pieces of text that inspired me to learn more. I marveled at the thoroughness, and at the myriads of stories contained in one book. I spent a glorious eternity on each page, writing down questions on sticky notes, doing more research,  devouring the learning, and adding even more books to my to-be-read stacks.

After each book, I felt more connected to the world somehow. I also was very grateful that writers like Montgomery devote their time to bringing us these true stories.

My hope is that the young readers in my library will share this same excitement. I take advantage of author visits when possible, and I do love to bring authors in via Skype (most recently, Jennifer Nielsen, author of THE FALSE PRINCE). I wish I could bring in every author I read! But I will do what I can do. I can provide the books and feature them. And I  can only know the books if I've  read them. Some have told me, "You can't read every book." True, but I definitely want to try.








1 comment:

  1. Because of that one session, I have brought ALL of the Scientists in the Field books into my classroom (thank you public library) and my students are discovering a passion for nonfiction and learning to love NF authors (Sy Montgomery ROCKS!) they way they love their fiction authors! I agree. Hearing those two was a definite spark!

    ReplyDelete