Pages

Saturday, December 14, 2013

My First Mock Caldecott

I love reading and learning about the Caldecott and Newbery books. I started my own Caldecott and Newbery challenges in 2011,  and although it's taking me awhile to read them, I will read eventually read them all.  As a teacher for the last couple of years, I did share many of the books with my class, and last year, we even did our own Mock Caldecott unit. So now as a librarian, it is especially wonderful to share the Caldecott books in my own library.

Since this was my first Mock Caldecott as a librarian, I wanted to try something different. I read about what some of my awesome librarian friends had done, and then I decided on a format that would work for me. There are many great librarians who have done thiis, and it can be done in so many ways. The key is finding what works for you & your students. 

I wanted to have our winner chosen by the time they are announced in January, so I started this last week. (I am attending the Youth Media Awards for the third time, so I am excited about hearing the announcement in person and sharing the experience with my school!) 

I decided to do the Mock Caldecott with our 3rd and 4th graders. I see them each once a week, and I know they love picture books, too. I'd already read them THIS IS NOT MY HAT and A BALL FOR DAISY, and we took one class period to read through some of the older previous winners. (They really loved SNOW DAY!)

I'm on Goodreads, and I read picture books as soon as I can get my hands on them. So I was confident enough to come up with own shortlist of potential winners. I took into consideration the buzz I'd been hearing, as well as what I thought my students would like. Also , I knew my list couldn't be too long.  

Some of the books on our shortlist:






There were 7 others books on the list that I will reveal in a later post! ;-)

First, we reviewed the criteria for the Caldecott Award: I made sure they understood the word "distinguished".  We talked about how the illustrations needed to help tell the story.

I laid out the books on tables, and students paired up to read them together. We spent a few minutes at each book, then moved on the next. After, each student voted by ranking the books as 1, 2, or 3 with 1 being the book they thought should win. Each 3rd and 4th grade class will vote, and I will ask some 5th grade helpers to tally the votes for me. I know this system will work within the time frame I have available. 

I'll announce the votes after we return from the winter break.

I really enjoyed watching and listening as students examined the books. Their comments were genuine, heartfelt, and insightful. I thought of the authors and illustrators who wrote them, and I knew they would have loved to have been there to listen, too.

If this process works, I will keep it for next year. If not, I will be happy to adapt it! 




No comments:

Post a Comment