And thanks to Pinterest and my wonderful parent volunteers, it's a little easier to do!
When you enter the library, you will first notice a gingerbread house.
(You should know that this gingerbread house is made of cardboard!) It stands about three feet tall and rests on a table. Around the edges of the table, readers find a legend marked with cards.
Each card matches a genre/book type with a symbol representing something one might put on a gingerbread house (peppermints, candy, cookies, etc.). These symbols are stickers. When a reader leaves the circulation desk, they tell me or my volunteers what symbol represents the book they checked out. Then readers place the sticker wherever they think it should go on the house. (I'm so thankful to my wonderful volunteer mom who made this for us! Didn't she do a FABULOUS job? ) Since we didn't decorate the library walls completely, I'm saving the house for next year, and we will add to it. It will be a new tradition!
My parent volunteer also assembled a book tree.
My parent volunteer also assembled a book tree.
It's topped with the book STARS by Seymour Simon! We used old encyclopedias for this! Total: 224 books.
Check out the other holiday decorations:
These book trees were centerpieces for every table. Students were so fascinated with them! I loved having these out when our library hosted parent meetings!
We also had this wall decoration. I think it looks like a Christmas card!
And, our own library elf came to visit, too! His name is George, and he loves books! (Of course!)
Check out the other holiday decorations:
These book trees were centerpieces for every table. Students were so fascinated with them! I loved having these out when our library hosted parent meetings!
We also had this wall decoration. I think it looks like a Christmas card!








LOVE this!! Now if I can just remember all of this come October 2014! Love the gingerbread house!
ReplyDeleteWow. All I put up is a mitten tree and two snowmen by the date due sign. I'm not a huge fan of holidays, and any change seems to tile middle school students up!
ReplyDelete