Here are the questions/projects I'm currently thinking about for my library:
1.) Gamification: I went to a great session at #edcampdallas where @ZachSnow talked about using gaming in the classroom. This session was very interesting to me, especially since I'd read REALITY IS BROKEN by Jane McGonigal last spring, and watched her TED Talk. I know learners love games, and I know they are using them in their classroom. How can I incorporate this into the library in a fun AND meaningful way? My friends and fellow librarians Nancy Jo Lambert and Tina Berumen and I are working on this one.
2.) Inquiry-based learning: How can I extend this into the library? I see many students every day, and they are always asking great questions. I want to create learning experiences for my students that will promote thinking and questions and strengthen their problem-solving. So I'm going to start working on library centers that I've seen other librarians use. I know I can create little pockets of learning everywhere!
3.) Making the library an inviting place: With the arrival of fall, I've decorated the library a bit. I want all who enter the library to smile and feel happy when they visit. I found little Pinterest project ideas, and my wonderful parent volunteers turned them into reality!
![]() |
| FLY GUY is just one of the book character pumpkins I have on display. |
4.) The Newbery Award: Which book will win the award in Philadelphia this January? I am thinking a lot about this now, and hurrying to read some titles I've heard mentioned in the same sentence as Newbery. Reminder: I absolutely loved COUNTING BY 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan. I have already been talking about award-winning books with my classes.
5.) What I'm currently reading:
Speaking of book awards, THE THING ABOUT LUCK is one of the #NBAAward (National Book Award) finalists.
Also, I saw these shoes today:
![]() |
| I did not buy this shoes. However, don't they look like the cute ones on my blog badge? |
I'm sticking to my flats, though!



(Crazy high shoes!)
ReplyDeleteLove the ideas... Here's another: to make a more inviting place, could you have a spot - or 2 or 3 - that the students can decorate? They'd love it... Could be of pics of books they love w/recommendations, or book marks, or illustrations for the books, or new cover art, etc... ??
Keep enjoying your work space - it's so important!
Cynthia,
ReplyDeleteI just want to come visit your library. I look forward to hearing more about your inquiry work and gamification of your space.
Cathy