Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Book Fair Reflections

Book Fair week was such an awesome time! Our library literally became a little book shop!

(The Scholastic theme for fall book fairs was "Reading Oasis". Isn't that a great way to see reading? Books as refreshment and relief!)





All throughout the book fair, there were so many pockets of great things happening. Parents reading to their children. Teachers sharing books with students. Everywhere I turned, everyone was talking about books or reading. All in one place! All in our library! How happy was I? EXTREMELY happy!

Sometimes parents asked me questions about books. Sometimes students asked me about books. And, sometimes I talked about books without being asked. (Talking about books is never a problem for me.)

Today, after the Fair had been packed up and put away, I came to see two important things:
  • I must continue to KNOW children's books. Thankfully, because I had read a lot of the books at the book fair (I wished I'd read all of them), I could share from experience. I've met some of the authors and heard them speak, and I've celebrated their work with fellow readers. Everything ties together and helps me share books with others.
  • Literacy brings people together. Our great school community gathered together in our library to celebrate books. We are all unique (from different places, different ages, different backgrounds), but the sharing of reading connected us.
I know I can recreate these experiences in other ways, too, and that I want to see these great things happen again. This can be done through a book fair or any other type of literacy event. 

I am thankful for the experience and thinking about the possibilities of the future. 




No comments:

Post a Comment