Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Great Trouble: Blog Tour

Here is one thing I really love about good historical fiction: It usually makes you want to learn more about history. When I share this genre with young readers, this is always one of my hopes.

I recently read the galley for THE GREAT TROUBLE (middle grade) by Deborah Hopkinson, and it was exactly the type of historical nonfiction I enjoy reading. I'm happy to be a stop on the blog tour for this book today. (Thanks to Random House for the ARC from Net Galley.)


 
 
THE GREAT TROUBLE: A MYSTERY OF LONDON, THE BLUE DEATH, AND A BOY CALLED EEL
Published by: Random House Kids
Published: Sept. 10, 2013
 
The book takes place during the London cholera epidemic of 1854.  Before I read it, I asked myself what I knew about cholera, and I remembered my trip to London years ago. Making connections with nonfiction definitely helps!

Even with my background knowledge on the topic, I mostly connected with the book because of the main character, Eel. He is an orphan, living a hard life in the streets, doing what he can to make a living. But he is caring and hardworking, and as the people of Broad Street succumb to cholera, he wants desperately to do something to help. He seeks Dr. John Snow (1813-1858) , a true historical figure in the book.

Dr. Snow had been studying cholera and trying to figure out its cause. His search for answers and Eel's compelling story make this book a medical mystery must-read. I couldn't put it down, and I wanted so much for Eel to be safe! (Eel has a secret that keeps him on the run!)  I also thought of the medical researchers around the world who work tirelessly to find cures for diseases. I grew to admire them even more.

If you love historical fiction, then this book is for you. If you love a mystery, this book is for you. And if you love a main character who doesn't give up in the midst of all types of trials, this book is also for you.

Deborah Hopkinson, author of THE GREAT TROUBLE
Deborah Hopkinson is also the author of Titanic: Voices from the Disaster, a 2013 Sibert Honor Book, and Annie and Helen, a 2012 picture book biography of Helen Keller that received a starred review from School Library Journal. 

Do you want to know more about THE GREAT TROUBLE? Make sure you stop by these blogs:

September 12 – Random Acts of Reading
September 13 – Styling Librarian
September 14 – Kidlit Frenzy
September 15 – Busy Librarian
September 16 – {Eat the Book}
September 17 – Nerdy Book Club
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment