I first celebrated Dot Day last year with my fourth grade class. I bought the book by Peter H. Reynolds and read it aloud. We made dots on our iTouches, and I even had a bulletin board display in our hallway.
But this year was a little different. I had a whole school to celebrate it with and that made it extra fun!
I was fortunate and so happy to know that my new school celebrated Dot Day, too! So I brought it into the library by reading the book to our classes, making different types of dots in different ways, AND connecting with other libraries via Skype in Maryland, Maine, Georgia, and even right here in Texas.
The Skype visits added another level of awesomeness to the celebration. Our 5th graders read The Dot to Mrs. Ford's kindergarten students and our 2nd grade showed their dot creations to other 2nd graders in Maine. Mr. Winner in Maryland read the book to our 2nd graders, and I read the book to his all the way from Texas.
Many of my fellow librarian friends from around the country celebrated with us, and I was amazed (yet really not surprised) at how many of us there were!
What makes Dot Day so great is the idea that we really can each make our mark in the world (in a positive way)!
How will I make my mark in my new school home/library? How will I help my students make their mark in their world? I'm not sure exactly what form this will all take, but I do know this: reading and books and literacy and will be a part of it all!
As I wrap up a week of Dot Day festivities tomorrow, I won't be done with the idea of Dot Day (and all that it represents) at all. For me-- in my library-- I've only just begun!
Until Dot Day 2014!
No comments:
Post a Comment